Stocking a 29g - moving some fish around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgethefrog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I currently have a 12g community tank and I'm planning on upgrading to a 29g. I want to move all of my current fish into the new tank and possibly add a couple fish to each school so that everyone is happy but I would also like to add one or two bigger cool fish since my possibilities are opening up from going from such a small tank.
I would love to get a red tail shark but I'm worried that my tank won't be big enough (even though I've read they need minimum 29g) and I'm also worried about aggression issues, especially towards the rummy noses. Is there any way I could still get one?

Any other cool suggestions? I know I can't add much since my 12g is already quite fully stocked but I want to add at least one centrepiece fish.

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Looking forward to tank pics on the upgrade!

Could you list all of your present stocking and also how you want to keep the new tank (e.g. caves or plants or etc)?

Right now I have between two tanks:
-dwarf gourami
-2 balloon Rams
-3 khuli loaches
-2 bristlenose plecos
-2 ADF
-2 platys
-2 julii corys
-4 espei rasboras
-5 rummynoses

I know I'm overstocked which is why I want to move things around.

Right now I'm thinking I'll keep my 12g running, retire my 5g and start a new 29g. The 12 is planted with driftwood and soil and I plan to do the same with the 29g. I'm also planning on building some caves.

I was thinking I could get a red tail shark in the 29g and put my gourami, rummynoses, corys and 1 plecos in with him, would that work if I had lots of caves in the tank? Would I be able to put anything else with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Right now I have between two tanks:
-dwarf gourami
-2 balloon Rams
-3 khuli loaches
-2 bristlenose plecos
-2 ADF
-2 platys
-2 julii corys
-4 espei rasboras
-5 rummynoses

I know I'm overstocked which is why I want to move things around.

Right now I'm thinking I'll keep my 12g running, retire my 5g and start a new 29g. The 12 is planted with driftwood and soil and I plan to do the same with the 29g. I'm also planning on building some caves.

I was thinking I could get a red tail shark in the 29g and put my gourami, rummynoses, corys and 1 plecos in with him, would that work if I had lots of caves in the tank? Would I be able to put anything else with them?

A Redtail Shark should really be placed in a larger tank. If I were you, I'd keep the Gourami in the 12 gallon and move the Rams to the 29 gallon. In the 29 gallon, up the number of Rummynose Tetras, and add a couple more Kuhli Loaches (5 minimum is usually a good number). 3 schoals (1 bottom dwelling schoal and 2 middle/upper dwelling schoals is a good maximum to go by to avoid overstocking) can be put in the 29 gallon with the Rams to avoid overstocking--2 large schoals are also acceptable. You could have a 12 gallon stocking of the Gourami, Espei Rasboras, the Platy, and the Cory Cats. Try to have schoals of at least 5-6 for schoaling fish. Smaller fish are better for smaller tanks. Maybe move the ADF to the 5 gallon. They do much better in a species-only tank. I've said a lot, I know. These are all suggestions, but planted tanks look so much better when lightly stocked rather than overstocked. Plus, tank health will be better.

Back
Top Bottom