Stocking a 30 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheezeloverr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want mostly platies, swordtails, and mollies. Are there any other livebearers that I could put in with these fish? How much of each could I put in?
Thanks.

It is generally a bad idea to mix livebearers because there is a possibility of them hybridising (if a large species male breeds with a small species female, the female will almost certainly die during birthing), also your aquarium can very quickly become overpopulated and this can result in the filter crashing.

As for other livebearers, well, there are 100s of species, you need to be more specific about what you're looking for.

I do recommend that you stock only males or pick only one species.

Okay. Could I just put in a male platy and two females and a male molly and 2 females?

What I'm looking for is livebearers that they would have at petsmart. In my 10 gal, I have a male platy and 2 females. One is Preggo and is due anytime now. I saw fish on this website where they cross breeded mollies and platies. The fish looked very cool. I figured, instead of buying them and the shipping costs would be around 30 dollars, I could try to make them. That sounds very Wierd... But, you know what I mean. I wouldnt keep all of the fry. I could sell the normal ones to my LFS or Give them to my friends. They all have fish tanks. Lol. Of course I would wait until theyve grown up a bit. Does that sound okay?

These are the more common live bearers:
Poecilia latipinna Molly
Poecilia reticulata Guppy
Xiphophorus helleri Sword
Xiphophorus maculatus Platty

I am not to hip on genetics but I was under the impression only fish of the same family could interbreed. For example swords and platties could interbreed because they are of the same family Xiphophorus. By the same token a sword and Molly couldn't breed because one is a Xiphophorus and the other is a Poecilia. Maybe someone could shed some light on this?

I would however stick on one type of livebearer other wise you will have a population explosion like you wouldn't belive. Stock in a 1 male to 3 female ratio to cut down on the stress of the males constant breeding attempts. Swords or platties would be my choice for a 30.

I know mollies and platies are possible to cross breed. You could buy a Dalmation Platy. I think its very possible, then.

I looked it up Platies and Mollies can not interbreed. All color morphs in livebearers are caused by selective breeding with in that genus not breeding different species together.

So, platies and mollies can't breed together? What is a variatus platy?

cheezeloverr said:
So, platies and mollies can't breed together? What is a variatus platy?

Xiphophorous maculatus and the Variegated Platy or Variatus Platy, Xiphophorous variatus are a short stocky fish lacking the extended tail fin or "sword" of their close relative, the Swordtail Xiphophorous helleri.

Although nowadays the platies have been interbred with themselves and with swordtails to the point where it is now hard to separate species. Originally there were two common species available to the hobbyist: the Platy or Moonfish Xiphophorous maculatus, and the the slimmer and more elongated Variegated Platy or Variatus Platy Xiphophorous variatus.

i think halfbeaks are livebearers,you could maybe try those

Oh! Yes I'll add other fish. Maybe a dwarf gourami and some Cory cats. Some neon tetras and maybe a couple of danios.

cheezeloverr said:
Oh! Yes I'll add other fish. Maybe a dwarf gourami and some Cory cats. Some neon tetras and maybe a couple of danios.

I would do 5 then 1 male and 4 females, then your other fish.

Back
Top Bottom