Stocking a 30 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bucky Katt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got my 30 gallon tank and I started the cycle last night. Now I have 3-6 weeks to figure out what type of fish to get.

I really like chiclids. But I know 30 gallons is a little small for a chiclid community. If i were to get chiclids, I was thinking of maybe getting 2 blue rams as my centerpiece fish. What other type of fish would be a good fit for these? I want a tankt hat is full but not overstocked.

Thanks.

GBR's and Bolivians seem to get along with most of the peaceful, non-nippy tetras. I've had mine with neons, glowlights, and bloodfins with no trouble at all. Cory cats and otos also go well with Rams. About the only fish I've had that didn't get along with them was a dwarf gourami, but he was the aggressor, not the Rams. One of the Bolivians got sick of him and took him out....

I was thinking maybe 6-7 neon or lemon tetras (maybe both) and 4-5 panda cories. Get them established and tehn introduce the Rams. That way the rams do not get too territorial and attack the other fish.

Bucky Katt said:
I was thinking maybe 6-7 neon or lemon tetras (maybe both) and 4-5 panda cories. Get them established and tehn introduce the Rams. That way the rams do not get too territorial and attack the other fish.

That would be a good idea. GBR's are picky about water conditions too (from what I've read). I'll be getting a pair but will let my tank run for 2-3 months before doing so. That way I know how the tank reacts and can get the water parameters just perfect for them.

That's a good idea, however, I've never had rams pick on other fish (although I've read about it happening to others). The only fish my rams seems to pick on are fellow rams. Bolivians harass Bolivians, GBRs harass GBRs. I had GBR's keep a watchful eye on a male betta...following him around the tank for a couple of days, but they've never attacked another fish. Perhaps I've been lucky...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom