Stocking a 30gallon community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tessalated

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm 100% newbie to the aquarium world. That being said I've been reading and doing my research and I'd like an experienced fish owner's input on what I'm putting in my tank. I have a 30gal tank, and so far what I've considered stocking is:
2 swordtail fish, or another peaceful "centerpiece"
3-4 Mollies
1 pleco
6 smaller schooling fish such as harlequin rasbora or a kind of tetra.

Are my numbers over or under what I can stock with? Are any of these fish incompatible from your experience? I'm also liking Gouramis or Rainbowfish but I read rainbows may need more tank than I have. Thoughts? Interested in Kuhli Loach as well.

khuli

khuli loaches might not be so great for this tank... just because they like hevy plant cover and prefer to be more active when they have other khuli friends. also do not have khuli loaches if you don't have a smooth substrate.

I made the mistake of rainbows with out a school because i didnt have enough room and think your right amount rainbows although i have heard good things of dwarf rainbows which hence the name means they prolly need a smaller tank. although im not entirely sure. I did accidently purchase dwarfs once and lemme tell you before i returned them i was tempted to just keep them cause their awesome . the reason i didnt is because i need the large ones to complete my shcool so i had to return them :( .

Make sure you get a pleco that stays small. I have a 29 gallon tank and recently added a clown pleco. In perfect conditions the grow 5 inches at most. And he does a great job on algae cleanup !

Thank you for the tip about kuhli, I hadn't read that yet. Rainbows are so beautiful. Maybe someday with a larger tank!

Back
Top Bottom