Stocking a 47tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mazdaman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am thinking 5 electric yellows, 5 p. demasoni and 1 red-tailed black shark. looking for suggestions, comments and feedback. Thanks

I saw a pic in the new acquisitions forum and while I don't know the dimensions, it doesn't look like a good shape for African Cichlids, especially Mbuna.

I wouldn't put them in anything less than 3ft long.....with 4ft being the best length for most IMO.

They are aggressive fish, especially the Demasonis and you'd be missing a few after awhile I think.

Have you thought about something else besides Africans? A pair of Angels and maybe some bottom feeders would be good for that shape. Length is better than height, since fish swim horizontally, but Angelfish are tall and would be ok in that tank shape.

angelfish were my other thought. I do know all about the advantage of length over height but the space didn't permit. Otherwise I would have gone right back to a 75gal which I think to be a great size for most fish. This tank is 18deep and 21 wide with a height of 31". The reason i thought yellow labs and demasonis is they are relatively small chiclids and they do tend to swim in all directions at all levels of the tank. I'll keep thinking things over as I haven't filled it yet or started the cycle.

Live bearers really do use the whole tank, too, and they might work with a pair of kribs here. With this size, you could possibly do an earth-eater, too.

With this height, I might suggest more communities of smaller fish rather than big, big fish, unless you wanted to do something like a pair of Jack Dempseys or something rather cool like that. A 47 might be on the smaller side for Dempseys, but it's likely close.

was never planning on putting anything larger than the 4" or so mark. I know due to the footprint there isn;t a lot of length to swim. it does have good depth at 18". I was in at the lfs yesterday picking up my filter and heater and such and saw a nice tank with a pair of angels and a nice size school of rasboras. I really liked the look and think I may go that route. 2 angels, 10 rasboras and maybe some cories or maybe not. Thanks for the feedback. Any other comments or suggestions would be good as I have some time to kill during cycle.

Back
Top Bottom