Stocking a 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agentamalia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I am getting a 55 gal tank tomorrow Nd looking for things to put in it. Plants and fish let's hear some ideas???

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Open to anything freshwater

That's what I was thinking but what kinds will be good together

Depends on if you want to go SA/CA or Africans.

If Africans break it down further to more and less aggressive groups. Tank size limits some species for you but you could easily take the aggressive route and do mbuna. Many species not all belonging to the mbuna family will work here. Auratus, melanochromis, zebras, kenyis, demasoni....
Less aggressive africans include rustys, peacocks, yellow labs, acei....

Many more species available for either type, I'm just rattling off some common ones.

If SA/CA the decide if you want cichlid only or a mix of peaceful cichlids with some schoolers. You can also do some of the larger species and have a solo wet pet.

I have a friend who is willing to give me some hello labs but what can I put with them that will be safe for all

That's somewhat difficult to answer as they vary from fish to fish. I consider yellow labs to be less aggressive though they are mbuna.

IMO and this is only opinion, I think they would do well with most. In a more passive tank they are of the more aggressive fish, in an aggressive tank they will be lower in the pecking order. I wouldn't mix them with demasonis or large auratus personally.

A nice tank in a 55 could be 4 yellow labs, 4 cobalt blue zebras, 4 yellow tail blue aceis and a few syno cats.

Oh I wasn't even planning on that many fish lol maybe eventually thank you for the advice

I would recommend rainbowfish. They're very beautiful but are like the underdogs of the fish keeping world. Not many people buy them in stores because they look dull but they really have amazing colours.

Boesemani
Neon dwarf/praecox
Turquoise/Lake Kutubu
Red Irian
Yellow/Lake Tebera
Parkinsoni
Aru ii
Bleheri

These are all very colourful species and there are more too.

I would recommend rainbowfish. They're very beautiful but are like the underdogs of the fish keeping world. Not many people buy them in stores because they look dull but they really have amazing colours.

Boesemani

Neon dwarf/praecox

Turquoise/Lake Kutubu

Red Irian

Yellow/Lake Tebera

Parkinsoni

Aru ii

Bleheri

These are all very colourful species and there are more too.

Can they all go together? I want a variety

Back
Top Bottom