Stocking a fluval edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitekat87

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just bought a Fluval edge 12 gallon tank and was thinking of putting 5 fantails, 6 neons and 5 red cherry shrimp in it. What do you guys think and any other ideas????

image-3693964881.jpg

The pic shows the tank layout although I have since swapped the sand for black gravel.

Thanks, here's an updated pic with the black gravel

Attachments

• image-2841828631.jpg
    image-2841828631.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 188
Kitekat87 said:
I have just bought a Fluval edge 12 gallon tank and was thinking of putting 5 fantails, 6 neons and 5 red cherry shrimp in it. What do you guys think and any other ideas????

The pic shows the tank layout although I have since swapped the sand for black gravel.

By fantails, do you mean fancy goldfish with a fantail?

If so then this tank is not big enough for 1 let alone 5.

Also neon tetras and red cherry shrimp like tropical temps. 24-27C.

Goldfish require cooler water.

IMO just stick with the tetras and the shrimp and you should have a beautiful tank.

Jon

personally I would not to neons in this tank. I know they are small fish but they are also very active and fast fish, I would go no smaller than 15 gallon, 20 is better. They really like that horizontal swimming space and this 5 gallon, IMO, just does not give them that.

The guppies and shrimp would be great. You could do a few more guppies if you remove the neons. Are you planning on all males?

I hadn't thought about what sex to get, would you recommend males?

Males are the more colorful gender and if you are going to mix them you are going to have to think about fry because they do breed easily. You also need to think about ratios. You should have at least 2 females to 1 male, makes will really pester the females and it will stress them out.

Having looked around my LFS I have found some galaxy rasboras/celestial pearl danios that I think would look great with the fantail guppies, what's everyone's thoughts??!

The tank is nearing the end of it's cycle so I'm hoping to add a couple more fish shortly.

I have the same tank as you and I have 3 neons and they are doing great! Along with two female balloon mollies.
You could do like four male guppies in here and four neons or four male guppies with 3 other community fish should be fine :)

You should be fine with adding shrimp with whatever fish you choose. Actually your current idea sounds pretty good

Back
Top Bottom