Stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h2ogirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello again! We are still brainstorming and researching. My son has selected some fish for his 25 gal and the AqAdvisor says he has a little room left. We are not set on this selection, and are seeking advice. So far his selection is bottom heavy. Please help us adjust this. Also, will cory cats clean up? What do we need for algae? He really wants a bristlenose pleco and koi angel. He will be over capacity for sure unless we make adjustments. He wants sand and driftwood in case this is relevant.
6 kuhli loach
1 dwarf gourami
5 cory cat

I would definitely skip the pleco they have huge bioloads and need at least a 30g tank as do angels. What about a school of cardinal or neon tetras, or maybe a school of chili rasboras? I like the blue neon rasbora they are really flashy.

Thanks! We looked those up and like the chilis. What can we add for algae control if we don't get the pleco? Will the cory cats do a good job cleaning food?

You shouldn't get algae if everything is balanced. A few nerite snails would be good, but they lay eggs everywhere.

Hmm it is definitely a little bottom heavy. Right now your mids area is going to look pretty empty.

Cories aren't really a cleaning crew. They will eat food that falls to the bottom, but they don't eat algae or other detritus. They are SUPER DUPER cute though. My favorite fish.

Kuhli loaches are awesome too, not surprised your kid is interested!

However - if you're looking for the fish that he'll be able to look at most often, that will be the cories. The Kuhlis like to burrow down in the substrate, and they'll also hang out tangled up in plants (real or fake). Overall he may not see them as often as he sees the cories. But when he DOES see them, they are a treat! I would try to have him pick one but if he just can't, they will still fit!

You could get an angel if you took out the gourami, but then you can't do the chili rasboras as they are too small and will eventually be food.

Just as a note for you- Dwarf gouramis are really prone to disease. Frankly they are just not a very hardy fish strain. If you think your little man is going to be really upset when/if it dies you might want to pick something different.

For his fifth birthday my kiddo wants me to set something up just for him too, so I've had stocking plans on my mind as well. His favorite fish in our big tank is our Angelfish.

Also might I suggest a mystery snail or two? They are surprisingly interesting, much more so than you would expect a snail to be. Our kids love them and have named them all. They always run over to the tank to see what the snails specifically are doing. I wouldn't go with too many though, as they are prolific poopers.

Hello again! We are still brainstorming and researching. My son has selected some fish for his 25 gal and the AqAdvisor says he has a little room left. We are not set on this selection, and are seeking advice. So far his selection is bottom heavy. Please help us adjust this. Also, will cory cats clean up? What do we need for algae? He really wants a bristlenose pleco and koi angel. He will be over capacity for sure unless we make adjustments. He wants sand and driftwood in case this is relevant. 6 kuhli loach 1 dwarf gourami 5 cory cat

You could do a German blue ram or a Bolivian ram instead too. Another surprisingly hardy dwarf cichlid is Apistogramma cacatuoides (cockatoo apisto), although keep in mind dwarf cichlids appreciate live plants. If you decide on the angel though I'd skip the dwarf gourami and dwarf cichlid -- 25g is a bit too tight.

Furcata or threadfin rainbows are really great options for pretty fish that stay mainly at the top of the tank if you're looking to fill each strata too. Pics really don't seem to do them justice -- you gotta see them moving in person.

Does he like livebearers? They are quite friendly and entertaining and do not hide so they would be visible all the time and fill out the middle section of the tank.

Wow! Thanks for the great info. I guess the gourami is out. I don't need a disease prone fish right out of the gate. I showed him the rams, cockatoo and live bearers. He likes them all. Do I need something to clean the bottom food? He wouldn't mind trading the kuhli loaches for other options. I was influencing him on those because I fell in love with them, but I realize they hide a lot. What is the koi angel called in the AqAdvisor? I tried, but for some reason I couldn't locate it. Maybe I'm not calling it the right name? The small white one with orange forehead.

I discussed this with my boy and he has trouble giving up certain things. Is this viable:
1 koi angel
1 german blue ram
1 cockatoo apisto
5 cory cats

They are just angelfish on aqadvisor. You don't need to be specific about the color type. I would just wait on the GBR until the tank is more mature about 4-6 months after cycling completes but I think it will work.

Thank you! I've been trying to talk him out of the pleco, but he won't budge. Still working on him, but he has always loved them.

That tank stock he came up with is a little odd, but it could work. I would be worried about the compatibility of the ram and apisto, especially if you get both males. What about a male/female pair of one?

Yeah. 6 year olds aren't known for rational thinking, and the heart wants what the heart wants. This is the result of a long evolution of stocking forethought believe it of not.

If he's just wanting a sucker mouth fish and you want a clean up fish look at the otto cats you could do like 5 of them really cute and active. I think they need a established aquarium though so you might wait and add them in 3 or 4 months give your lil guy somthing to look forward to

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you! I looked those up. They're cute. I think it's the bristly part that he likes about that pleco's nose. We are cycling still. It's been more than 4 weeks. Waiting waiting.

Hate that part lol

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom