Stocking and Filter Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am starting a nano tank with Scarlett badis, crocidile toothpicks, and red cherry shrimp as my focus. However I wanted a schooling fish also. I was thinking a school of glass catfish. Compatable? I am open to other suggestions but preferably not a red fish. Also I have a 20 gallon and was considering upgrading my filter to a fluval c3. Anyone with expierience with this filter?

How big of a tank are you talking about? I can't see glass catfish in a nano, unless you're talking a 29g, then it's only a nano to those wanting it to sound smaller than it is.

Its a 20 gallon. I am just adding mostly nano fish.

Yeah, to have a proper school of glass cats, I think a larger tank would be better. Is it a 20 long or a 20 high? Corys school and could go in there. You could even pick pygmy corys to maintain the nano theme.:)
Do you want the school to be nano fish too? Or just anything compatable that isn't red?

I dont care as long as it is not huge and wont outcompete the others for food. I wanted gold ringed danios but was told they would outcompete the others. If you had a nice nano school for middle to top sections of the tank that would be sweet. The reason I dont want red is because of the red shrimp and red badiss. I dont wanna make them appwr the same. Know what I mean?

I dont care as long as it is not huge and wont outcompete the others for food. I wanted gold ringed danios but was told they would outcompete the others. If you had a nice nano school for middle to top sections of the tank that would be sweet. The reason I dont want red is because of the red shrimp and red badiss. I dont wanna make them appwr the same. Know what I mean?
Thats cool. I will think about it....:)
The only things that pop to mind instantly are yellow platys or leopard danios or something like that. But, they are not very small... So, I will try to think of something better.

Another option is gold neons. They are just a color variant of regular neon tetras, stay small, are not red, are peaceful, and should school pretty well.
Also, I still think pygmy corys would be a good option since they are bottom feeders, you don't have to worry about them out-competing the badis for food. But, I know you said you wanted something for the top to mid level of the tank...

Would regular neons outcompete the scarletts for food? or the crocs? And what about black kuhli loaches?

I suggest either an aquaclear filter or the c3. Both are the same brand and are very good.

Would regular neons outcompete the scarletts for food? or the crocs? And what about black kuhli loaches?
Honestly, I am not sure, but maybe. I have never kept scarlet badis before, but I have heard that they are difficult to feed. Kuhlis would be great! They are essentially bottom feeders, so they prefer a sinking pellet that the scarlets probably wouldn't touch! Do you have a 20 high, or a 20 long? In a 20 high, I would recommend 4 of them. You could have 1 or 2 more in a 20 long however. The more of them you have though, the more likely you are to see them. They like to hang out in plants and caves. :)

Honestly, I am not sure, but maybe. I have never kept scarlet badis before, but I have heard that they are difficult to feed. Kuhlis would be great! They are essentially bottom feeders, so they prefer a sinking pellet that the scarlets probably wouldn't touch! Do you have a 20 high, or a 20 long? In a 20 high, I would recommend 4 of them. You could have 1 or 2 more in a 20 long however. The more of them you have though, the more likely you are to see them. They like to hang out in plants and caves. :)
I have a 20 tall. Are you talking about the scarletts or loaches?

Back
Top Bottom