Stocking awkwardly shaped tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hallo all!

My local garden centre recently refurbished their fishhouse and I nabbed one of their old acrylic display tanks for free

It's a weird wedge shaped tank: the bottom dimensions are 24" x 20" and the top is 24" x 14" - its 15" high and the slanted front is 16" long. As far as I can make out from this link: Volume Calculator For Odd Shape Ponds the volume of the tank is 100litres or 26 US Gallons

Working on that, I'm trying to think of what to stock in the thing (once it's cleaned out and cycled of course; I might also use a hacksaw to remove the top and make it into a more accessible lid)

1) I was considering some Neolamprologus Brevis Zaire pairs in the bottom, esp as the footprint is quite big, with maybe a Black Ocellatus and/or a Julidochromis Dickfeldi (if I can find any) or pair

2) I removed some Gertrude's Rainbows from a previous stocking list so I also thought about keeping them with some Threadfin Rainbows?

3) I liked the idea of a swarm of Endler's Livebearers in with maybe 5 black Mollies and some Black Cories (if I could get them) or Peppered Cories, whathaveyou

4) And then I was thinking about a load of Guppies or Endler's with a Krib pair (in case of fry explosions) - I've always wanted Kribs but haven't had a chance to keep them until now

I wanted some silvertip tetras but I don't think they'd be comfortable enough in that size tank

I just wondered what you guys think of the above and if you had any other ideas about what could go in there. I've already got a Honey Gourami, Sparkling Gourami, Norman's Lampeyes, Corydoras habrosus, Ember Tetras and Peacock Gudgeons lined up for some other tanks, as well as a shrimp tank but I'm not adverse to putting some in this tank as well, I loves me some shrimps.

My water is around 8.0 - 8.4 PH as well, just for reference sake.

Thanks for your help, sorry for the uber post!

Attachments

• oddtank1.jpg
    oddtank1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 39
  • oddtank2.jpg
    oddtank2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 39
I'll always go for cichlids before other fish, but I probably wouldn't mix shellies with Julidochromis species. The Julis get larger, and are much more aggressive, and will also share the same tank area. I'm afraid it wouldn't go well for the shellies. The ocellatus may work if you can separate the tank into sinto individual territories with stones or some type of short wall.
I don't do much with live-bearers except for some snakeskin guppies in my granddaughter's tank, so I can't say much about them one way or the other.
I think your rainbow mix would work pretty well though, as both species remain small, and are (I believe) peaceful fish. You could still put a small group of corys in with them, I think.

Thank you! I've been considering populating the bottom with Shellie's and the top with endlers? I've seen some species profiles and sites that say they can be kept together as dithers; what did you think? :)

I think the endlers would do ok with shellies. They're fairly quick, so when the shellies got aggressive during breeding, the endlers could get out of the way well enough.

Back
Top Bottom