Stocking calculator...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rosie2126

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
.. Does anybody use these or are they a waste of time? I tried 2, one said that I could stock 25cm of fish so roughly 8 guppies. The other I used, I added 6 guppies and 4 platy just to see the outcome and that said my tank is currently 76% stocked. I dont plan on introducing all my fish at once obviously but it would be good to plan ahead. My tank is 45litres

I like using the stocking calculators for a "ball park" estimate. They are not gospel truth though. It is helpful to see what's compatible and what additional needs there may be (driftwood for pleco, e.g.), but the best advice and guidance is found on forums like this one! Also I would stay away from any that use the inch of fish per gallon of water rule, that rule is quite antiquated and doesn't account for higher bioload fish, or specialized needs of fish as far as schooling/shoaling requirements.

Thanks for the advice, I was beginning to wonder about the inch fish rule. Like you said it's good to see what is compatible and other needs, that's become really useful, as has this site :-D

Back
Top Bottom