Stocking/compatability suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krismic74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I'm months away from getting my tank. But I very much like the following species and would appreciate comments/recommendations/advice on whether or not these particular fish would do well together in a 120 gallon tank. First of all I have to get a gold Severum. My favorite fish from a previous tank I had. I very much like clown loaches. Rainbow fish, silver dollar fish, conga tetras, dwarf Cichlid, peacock Cichlid. I also like the galaxy Pleco but am not sure how one would do with the clown loaches. Basically I want peaceful, colorful fish. I love the schooling ones. And even though the Severus can be semi aggressive, they seem very slow so as long as my schoolers are large enough not to fit well in his mouth and are not notorious fin nippers, I would think they should be ok. Conga tetras usually reach about 3" length but I'm not sure they are wide enough to be in a tank with a Severum. I just love the bright flashy colors when you have a nice school of them. Ok experts, let loose:)

Is your tank cycled yet? What kind of filter do you have?
We need to know all of the specifics before we can help out.
And :welcome: to aquarium advice! :)

I do not have the tank yet. It will be a 120 gallon, probably a fluval or Eheim canister, still researching. And I plan to do fishless cycling before I put anything in. My last tank was a 55 and I had too many fish and also fish that should have had a larger tank. But I was very inexperienced then and just picked fish I thought were pretty. This time I want to do my homework well in advance. Rather than take the word of somebody trying to sell me a fish, I'm trying to carefully research the fish I am interested in and get advice from people who have lots more experience than I do and who have housed the fish i am interested in and offer some insight based on personal experience. Thanks for the welcome! I have been fascinated by fish ever since my Dad had a tank back when I was about 7. I now know it had way too many fish, probably they didn't really know much about cycling as we were constantly buying more fish to put in it. I love spending time at aquariums, I could spend all day watching the fish. And when I had my 55 gallon, I enjoyed everything about it, even water changes and maintenance. I'm so excited to be able to get a larger tank and really take time to do things right and make better choices before I go out and start buying stuff. Thanks so much for your input/comments/suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom