Stocking for a 55gal ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stocking Advice

I'm not sure on what I want so any advice is helpful make up a list and post it

Fish are fun.

Hello Kait...

If you like livebearing fish, I don't think you can do better than Platys. If you prefer egglayers, then I'm a fan of Rosey or Pearl Danios.

Both are very hardy and will tolerate most tap water supplies. I keep both of these fish and just plant the tanks well and change a lot of tank water and do it often.

B

My two favorites are Fire Mouths and Honduran Red Points. Lots of personality and they get great colors. So you could get a few of those People seem to like the Acaras but I have not personally kept them.

I am looking into Rainbow cichlids as well I have never kept them but personality and color seems great on them also. You have to keep the water quality good or they will turn brown instead of the nice yellows they are known for.

You could also do a single fish like a Green Terror or a Severum. I have kept both of them and really like them but I prefer more of the community interaction.

Can't go wrong with a Mbuna tank. I think best thing is to go to your lfs and see what they carry. If the fish are juveniles look them up before buying. Adult fish look a lot different than what you buy when they are young.

Geophagus red head tapajos

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unless you want problems, do not get Bumblebee cichlids. Those and Moreii are SUPER aggressive species so be mindful when picking your cichlids to get the most enjoyment from your community tank. :) I have Red Top Zebras (M. Greshakei), Cobalts, Red Zebras, Kenyii, Albino Peacocks, Demasoni, Convicts, and many more. Males & females of all & although there are occasional skirmishes, they are very happy...and therefore, so am I. :)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 3 bumble bees in my tank. My oldest largest male is the king, but the other 2 don't seem to cause many problems. My electric johanni, smallest guy in tank with biggest attitude

Nice. Lucky you cuz those are both tough and beautiful fish. :)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can do an African cichlid tank -or- an angel and blue ram tank -or- a firemouth and black convict tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom