Stocking Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruna75

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone! I am kinda new here, been doing a lot of reading and I need some help. I am buying a 75 gallon tomorrow to move my 8 platy and 1 black molly into so I can have the 20 they are currently in as a nursery tank, 2 are preggers already.
My question is what else can I put in the 75 gallon with the others..I really like the german blue rams but I have read conflicting info on the compatibility...My 20 gallon right now is at a 78 degrees and the ph is 8, which I assume would be what I will keep the 75 gallon they would all be in at. If the rams are ok to go in there what else can I put in there with them? My husband is sick of looking at platy and wants some interesting looking slightly bigger fish in there, I have no clue what to put in there, and since he has changed his mind and let me put a bigger tank on our first floor I guess I should put some interesting fish in there for him..lol, he was wanting the big tank to go downstairs just in case something tragic happens, but after months of me whining he agreed to let me put it up here:) I think he also feels guilty it is taking him so long to get the downstairs finished!
Thanks for any and all suggestions:)

I would recommend an angelfish for him. If you get a small one it will grow fast in that 75. They are one of my favorite fish and they don't stay small.

As far as the blue rams go they are peaceful fish unless they are spawning. You could go with just one blue ram and they'd be safe with the platys. Angelfish are the same way so for either if you get more than one you are always taking a chance.

The Rams would be a great addition. I think Angel Fish would be great slightly larger fish you could do this
The Platys
3 Angel Fish 1 male 2 Female
2 Rams
1 BN Pleco
And maybe a school of Rainbow Fish. I think that would look pretty nice.

Thanks! I didn't even think of angels! I think he will love those!

Any suggestions for decorations? I am going to do sand with this tank. Sorry for so many questions but I have a family member who works at petsmart and this weekend employees get 30 percent off so I am driving 4 hours :O down by her and want to get as much as I can with the discount. Lol. Hopefully everything, well except for the fish;) oh and I just googled the rainbows and they are gorgeous!

I mean what would be best for the fish that will be in there. I am not ready for live plants, I kill all my house plants:( but I can keep plastic ones alive and well:)

You could do 2 angels, you can't sex them so there is no way to buy a male and two females. Or you can buy more angels, say 3 and wait till they mature (around 8 months) and see what happens. If two form a pair then you'd probably have to remove the 3rd. But you could get all males or females or if you would get a male and two females there is a chance they could form a trio. A 75 is big enough to do that in. Also a nice pair of pearl gourami's or a colorful dwarf gourami would work with with the above listed fish.
Then you could get a couple schools of tetras and/or rasboras. No neon tetras as the angels will try to eat them. But rummy nose, lemon, diamond, cardinal tetras are all good with angels and the above fish. I don't keep rasbora's so someone else would have to suggest what types would be good. Plus a nice school of at least 6 Cory Cats for bottom movement. That would give you good movement in all areas of the water column.

A school of 5 Bosemani Rainbow Fish would look good and they get larger than most Tetras.

Wow, I am torn between the lemon tetras and the rainbows, they are both beautiful! Can I do both? I am on aqadvisor playing around with the stock you guys are giving me lol, with
2 blue rams
8 platy
1 black molly
3 angel fish
7 lemon tetra
6 panda cory
5 rainbow fish
It says I am at 98% stocked, though one of the angels will be rehomed if I get a pair to pair up;) So what do you guys think, can I do both the lemons and the rainbows?
Oh and I really love the panda cory so I hope those are ok?

Last edited:
Bruna75 said:
Wow, I am torn between the lemon tetras and the rainbows, they are both beautiful! Can I do both? I am on aqadvisor playing around with the stock you guys are giving me lol, with
2 blue rams
8 platy
1 black molly
3 angel fish
7 lemon tetra
6 panda cory
5 rainbow fish
It says I am at 98% stocked, though one of the angels will be rehomed if I get a pair to pair up;) So what do you guys think, can I do both the lemons and the rainbows?
Oh and I really love the panda cory so I hope those are ok?

It looks fine to me if you will have good filtration and stay on top of your water changes. Maybe after your tank has been established for a while you could add 3 Otos or a Bristlenose Pleco.

Awesome:)! I am prepared for a lot of water changes. Seems all I do these days with just my 20 and 5. Lol. The 5 is still cycling, it is the future home for a betta for my sons room:) I have been changing 75% of that everyday sometimes twice. but my nitrates in my 20 have been a bit high or at least I think it is hard to tell with the liquid kit. It looks like 20 but also looks like 40 so I have been changing 30% every other day. Though I am interested how the water changed are going to go in a much bigger tank. I was thinking a water changer for it but I am not too keen on putting dirty fish water in my kitchen sink. Unless I can run it out the front window to fertilize my rose bushes. Lol. If that is even how they work. I have no clue, I have always used a vacuum vac and buckets:/

What kind of filtration do you recommend? I only have experience with the kind that hang on the back and would like to stick with that. I was thinking 2 top fin 60 but when I was on the aqadvisor it said it wasn't enough so any suggestions would be appreciated:)

I would do a Marineland Penguin 350 or an Emperor 400. I have a Penguin 200 on my 45 and it works great. And this is what I did to mine for a little extra surface are for BB to grow. For a 75 get the ones mentioned above they have 2 filter cartridges and 2 Bio-Wheels.

ForumRunner_20120922_142246.jpg

Sweet! Thanks:) you guys are making this much easier for me:) I am horrible at decision making and input from people with experience is awesome! Another question though. After I add the platys what should I introduce next? I know I have to add all of them slowly just don't know if they need to be in any specific order:)

It doesn't really matter but I would add the Rams and Angels last.

Bruna75 said:
Ok thanks;) save the best for last;)

Yeah and they're the biggest and its good to let all the smaller fish get used to the tank.

Honestly I'd lose the molly and cut the platy's down to 4 but that is just me. Do add the angels last so they don't get the "this tank is mine" attitude. You need to wait a few months to get the GBR's. They do better in a mature tank and they are sensitive to nitrates. You will be much happier with a water changer for a tank that size. We have a Aqueon water changer here and hook it up to the bathroom sink (kitchen sink here is an all in one faucet sprayer), we have the 50ft hose kit and it works just fine. After using it I just use a couple Clorox wipes to wipe the sink and faucets down.

Unfortunately the Molly Aka "Bruce The Dark Fish" is my sons favorite. He picked him out because he reminds him of batman:/ but wow a 50 foot hose that I can work with;) that will definitely make it to my bathroom:)

Yep, 50 foot, works fine as long as you have decent water pressure. I'd say my water pressure is average and it works just fine.

Back
Top Bottom