Stocking Ideas for 56G Tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CichlidConway

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I have a 56G tall aquarium that I need some stocking ideas for. I was thinking about a community tank, but have no idea what type of nice looking fish to put in it. Maybe dicus??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Discus are good for a tall, but it would be good if they had lots of horizontal space too. Also, Discus are expensive fish, and you can't afford to make any mistakes that could possibly end in death. Angelfish would be good, with some corys and maybe some sort of tetra. And a red tailed shark never hurt anybody.

Thanks for the advice. I think discus or angels would great too. How many angels or discus could comfortably fit in a 56G tall?

I was eyeballing one of those tanks at petsmart, I'd put an oscar in it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the advice. I think discus or angels would great too. How many angels or discus could comfortably fit in a 56G tall?

First, I wouldn't do Discus in a tall. I, along with many other Discus keepers prefer width and (front to back) depth over height. If going Discus, they should be kept in groups of 5-6 or more, AND most keep them in bb tanks. Both of those are for a couple reasons we can expand on later if you choose this route. Also, I wouldn't do angels in the same tank. Not saying it can't be done, it's just a lot less stressful for all involved.

As for angels in that tank, 6-8 in a tank that size with adequate filtration and WC's would be good. Now, keep in mind that you should always purchase in groups of 3 or more. You have more of a chance of getting a mix of genders which will help with aggression issues in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Of course, I got three angels (two dudes and a dudet), and one of the dudes almost killed the other. I only just got there on time. two might be better, so that you don't have girl competitions.

Back
Top Bottom