Stocking ideas with a red color scheme?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everybody, I'm nearing the end of my fishless cycle and am starting to think about what fish to get.

The tank is in our bedroom and the color theme has hints hints of red through the room. It's a 48 gallon freshwater, and I've got white stones with lots of (fake) plants and red highlights. I'm thinking some fish with red on them would look great with the theme I've got going.

I don't know all that much about fish yet, but I know I'd like to have good size school (maybe tetras?) with possibly a few red honey gourami's (or something similar) and I'd love to have a couple fish that stay around the bottom of the tank.

Not everything has to be red but I'd like the main showpiece fish to have that color in them. Also, I'd like to avoid cichlids if possible because I want my tank to be friendly and not too territorial.

I'm open to any suggestions, thanks!

I have 2 red dwarf gourami in my 60 gallon tank. I think they really add some color to my tank. I especially like the streak of blue on their dorsal fins. I think I remember reading somewhere that red dwarf gourami's can be aggressive towards one another, but I really haven't had that problem. For a nice looking school you may try some jumbo neon tetras or some harlequin rasbora (a little more subtle coloring). I have some harlequin rasbora myself.

Silly question, can you have a bunch of bettas in 48 gallons of water? I know you can't keep males together and it'd be a pretty boring tank with them just laying around, but I'm curious. I've got some Asian style stuff as decor and it might actually look really neat.

Any suggestions on bigger fish to go with all the types of tetras and barbs that have been recommended so far? And don't barbs get rather nippy?

Homedog98 said:
Rosy barbs, a Bunch of red guppies, bettas, red laser cories, all good candidates!

Rosy barbs are not compatible with betta!!!

As for larger tetras and barbs you can keep serpae tetras and tinfoil barbs.

arangarajan93 said:
Rosy barbs are not compatible with betta!!!

As for larger tetras and barbs you can keep serpae tetras and tinfoil barbs.

I didn't mean all in the same tank lol! My bad!

I wouldn't put tinfoil barbs in a 48g. They get quite large. Bloodfin tetras would be a better choice.

There are a number of tetras that would work for your tank. Bloodfin (as BigJim suggested), redeye, neon, and cardinal tetras to name a few. Sonmeone also already mentioned serpae tetra, which is another good option.

Cherry barbs could work as well.

I keep a female betta in my 29g community. I also keep a group of 6 females so that's possible as well. I wouldn't mix barbs with anyone with flowing fins though. Red wag platy are kinda cute :)

Back
Top Bottom