Stocking ideas !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And could I do a couple pairs of German blue rams ?? Obviously not all of these but could I do one of them ???

How aggressive are the fire mouths ? And I think I will do an electric blue once I can get a deal on one :) and I did think of a large school of tiger barbs but aren't they really fun nippy ?

They tend to not nip in larger groups 30 would be fine

I have an assorted group of 10 with 3 platy's ad a molly. Surprisingly my bumblee platy is more interested in schooling with the barbs rather than hang out with the others. And this is in my 29g. I also have a upsidedown cat. He's only a inch now and will be rehomed to a 60g soon with a larger school of barbs

Ok I think I'm going to wait for aquarium adventure Colombus to run another 50 percent off sale and get an electric blue jack . Could I do a pair of firemouths with then ??

Ok I think I'm going to wait for aquarium adventure Colombus to run another 50 percent off sale and get an electric blue jack . Could I do a pair of firemouths with then ??

Ehhh, that could be a bad idea, it could work out tho, never had ether

Ok then I believe I'm just going to watch for a good deal and try a EBJD :) I love Thier color ! I just hope they have some personality

Well that was a mood killer . What do you mean they die for no reason ??

Well that was a mood killer . What do you mean they die for no reason ??

I have not found that to be true. I keep EBJDs and they are doing just fine. They die off when they are highly stressed like putting them in a Mbuna tank. some of the advice you got on ebjds was from someone that said they never kept them so please keep that in mind. EBJDs are more passive than JD's but people treat them like regular JD's putting them with overly aggressive fish and therefore get stressed out stop eating and die.

Fire mouths are at the lower end of the aggression spectrum when it comes to cichlids. They are more aggressive when breeding and will give chase sometimes to other fish but the fire mouths main form of defense is bluffing. They flair their gills out and charge at another fish and this makes them look bigger and typically backs down the other fish. If the other fish does not back down the fire mouth will typically loose. Their mouths are made for sifting not fighting.

I have my fire mouth and EBJD together because they are both at the same level of aggression for larger fish meaning they are both at the lower end. They mind their own business and don't worry about chasing other fish. I would feel confident keeping them with larger semi aggressive fish like gourami's or silver dollars if that tells you about there temperament at all.

IMO I think you should start with a pair or group of Fire mouths they are on the cheaper side and I think they are exactly what you are looking for. Then when you find a deal on the EBJD pick up some of those. I bought the fire mouths on an impulse because they where in breeding colors but there personalities quickly made them my favorite fish.

Ps there is a youtube video of firemouth with blood parrots you may want to check it out.

You think I could do 2 fire mouth cichlids with a future ebjd with my current stock ?? Would that be too much ??? And there are a lot of videos of them together ????

I have not found that to be true. I keep EBJDs and they are doing just fine. They die off when they are highly stressed like putting them in a Mbuna tank. some of the advice you got on ebjds was from someone that said they never kept them so please keep that in mind. EBJDs are more passive than JD's but people treat them like regular JD's putting them with overly aggressive fish and therefore get stressed out stop eating and die.

Fire mouths are at the lower end of the aggression spectrum when it comes to cichlids. They are more aggressive when breeding and will give chase sometimes to other fish but the fire mouths main form of defense is bluffing. They flair their gills out and charge at another fish and this makes them look bigger and typically backs down the other fish. If the other fish does not back down the fire mouth will typically loose. Their mouths are made for sifting not fighting.

I have my fire mouth and EBJD together because they are both at the same level of aggression for larger fish meaning they are both at the lower end. They mind their own business and don't worry about chasing other fish. I would feel confident keeping them with larger semi aggressive fish like gourami's or silver dollars if that tells you about there temperament at all.

IMO I think you should start with a pair or group of Fire mouths they are on the cheaper side and I think they are exactly what you are looking for. Then when you find a deal on the EBJD pick up some of those. I bought the fire mouths on an impulse because they where in breeding colors but there personalities quickly made them my favorite fish.

I have had EBJD. Had JUST them for 3 months. They were all active and eating. But each one randomly died.

Do some research. I'm not the only one with this experiences

I have had EBJD. Had JUST them for 3 months. They were all active and eating. But each one randomly died.

Do some research. I'm not the only one with this experiences

Yes some people have claimed the same thing as you and I have already expressed my hypothesis on this. Some people claim they cant be kept yet other keep them successfully. IMO its the person not the fish.

As far as research goes. I have done more research on fish over the past 29 years in the hobby than you will ever know. I am a bit research obsessed. So cool your jets.

You think I could do 2 fire mouth cichlids with a future ebjd with my current stock ?? Would that be too much ??? And there are a lot of videos of them together ????

In a 100 gallon tank that is more than enough space.

Ok :) well I believe next time I can talk the spouse into a trip to the fish store ( Sunday is my birthday so should be soon) I will look for some fire mouth cochlids :) and is there a way to distinguish between males and females ?

Ok :) well I believe next time I can talk the spouse into a trip to the fish store ( Sunday is my birthday so should be soon) I will look for some fire mouth cochlids :) and is there a way to distinguish between males and females ?

Unfortunately not until they are adult size and even then its hard to tell. The fins of the males have longer "streamers" for lack of a better term. I know I have male and female only because they have babies and now I can tell them apart. You have enough room to get a group get 5 or 6 then see who pairs off. Then you can sell off the extras if you want to. Max size is 6 inches and they will pair off around 3 inches.

Good luck on your new fish and Happy Birthday!

Ok I will try to pick out a nice group :) and thank you !! :) where could I sell them back too ?? There is a lfs near me that will take them and give me like 2 dollars a piece in store credit but ... They don't take very good care of fish ? Any ideas

Back
Top Bottom