stocking my 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pisan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
aqueon 55 with 2 A.C 50s my tentative list is ( drum roll )

8 cardinal tetras

6 black ruby barbs

8 serape tetras

6 lemon tetras

8 harlequin rasbora

7 danio

7black neon tetras

and possibly one dwarf gourami

AQadvisor states 138% filtration rate

any holes in my plan

forgot to mention will only require 20% water change every week could probably go 2 weeks between changes or at least 10 days temp of 75.2 to 77 . ph of 6.5 to 7.5 and hardness of 5 - 15dh
one thing aqadvisor doesn't give variation for is bubbler / stone which I will have air disc and sponge filter . so in my limited experience with our scaled hobby filtration rate will be of higher percentage probably more like 160% I think I will be happy with this for a while . just waiting on new furniture delivery then cycling of tank starts .

please give recommendations for quality silk and plastic plants and good decorations . as in sites of manufactures . thanks . cant wait to show videos when it all comes together

forgot to mention will only require 20% water change every week could probably go 2 weeks between changes or at least 10 days temp of 75.2 to 77 . ph of 6.5 to 7.5 and hardness of 5 - 15dh
one thing aqadvisor doesn't give variation for is bubbler / stone which I will have air disc and sponge filter . so in my limited experience with our scaled hobby filtration rate will be of higher percentage probably more like 160% I think I will be happy with this for a while . just waiting on new furniture delivery then cycling of tank starts .

please give recommendations for quality silk and plastic plants and good decorations . as in sites of manufactures . thanks . cant wait to show videos when it all comes together

Sounds like it will be a nice looking tank once set up and yes over filtering is a good thing in my opinion. Regardless of what advice is out there or suggested size of water changes or frequency, I keep 8 tanks at the moment, ranging from 3-120 gallons, mostly all live plants or blackwater and on all tanks and some are heavily stocked and others lightly stocked. Regardless of the tank, I perform a 25-50% water change EVERY week without fail regardless of water parameter readings. Some tanks more on the lower end of water volume, just based on stock levels, but still EVERY week I do routine water changes. Every tank takes on an ecology of it's own so thus I adjust for this on volume of water to change. Truthfully, I have gotten so used to how my tanks behave, I rarely even check my water parameter numbers because they are always the same each week and rock solid. Every week, no matter how I feel I perform the same routine and truly no issues come up unless its a mechanical one. I also track how often I am servicing filters on all the tanks too and I stay on top of that also. All fish are healthy, plants look good and I rarely run into issues or lose a fish. Point is I suggest weekly water changes no matter what.

The easy way to successful fishkeeping is 30-40% water changes every week. Get yourself a Python to make it easy.

I'm not a fan of serpae tetras as they have a reputation for being nippy. My favorite tetra is the rummynose as they are very active schooling fish.

Live plants go a long way towards keeping the water clean and fighting algae. Get some low light plants such as anubias and Java fern and tie them to driftwood. Floating plants are a great way to reduce nitrates.

I have been looking and have found the same results on the serape being nippy and a little pissy so I think I will nix them I can see the reasoning for the water changes and I have been considering a python or similar set up for them . I am afraid of live plants as I have never dealt with them ever . could you guys go to you tube and look at 55 gallon make over and tell me the types of plants used in that tank . I know they are fake but I really like that set up but with a little less of everything . thanks tor the incite and recommendations it all hasn't fallen on deaf ears

If you get yourself a LED light (I've had good experience with Finnex brand), the live plants that I suggested will grow really well with little effort. My algae problems went away when I switched to live plants.

I plan on minimal led lighting ( MINIMAL ) tank is in finished basement only one large window . no direct sunlight on tank . overhead can lighting in ceiling for the basement this room is primarily out TV room and is usually dark so it is my belief minimal lighting for viewing will work just fine ( correct if I am wrong ) plan on getting the inexpensive clip on inside rim of tank led lighting that has day and night mode ( blue ) from petsmart . nothing special for now .

Back
Top Bottom