Stocking numbers questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TabiLove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank, recently cycled. Currently home to 5 cory cats.
I plan on adding
6 hatchetfish or 6 harliquin rasboras
1-4 Bolivian rams
And either a pearl or dwarf gourami, or an angelfish or two.

But no matter how much research i do, i can not figure out the numbers. How many rams would be best in this set up? Same with the angels? Or would i be better off skipping the angels and going for a single gourami?

TabiLove

I have a 55 gallon tank, recently cycled. Currently home to 5 cory cats.
I plan on adding
6 hatchetfish or 6 harliquin rasboras
1-4 Bolivian rams
And either a pearl or dwarf gourami, or an angelfish or two.

But no matter how much research i do, i can not figure out the numbers. How many rams would be best in this set up? Same with the angels? Or would i be better off skipping the angels and going for a single gourami?

TabiLove

If you're going with the hatchets make sure you have a tight heavy glass top because they will jump out of the tank for absolutely no reason. I think you should do Bolivian rams with angels. I would do two of the rams and either one or two angels, be sure to introduce them all at the same time so that nobody has an advantage and can claim territory first.

I'd also aim at getting same sex fish to eliminate the chance of breeding and the aggression that follows. It can be tough to sex them when young so be sure you research it or try to go with someone that would be able to sex them for you.

Also, hatchets shouldn't be kept with boisterous fish...angels can sometimes be boisterous. It's luck of the draw, but just keep an eye out for it.

You should put the hatchets/rasboras in first, then a week later or so introduce the rams and angels.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This site will be very helpful, if you haven't already found it.
http://aqadvisor.com

Thank you. I have been on that site, but it only tells you how many could possibly go in before you're stocked, i was more curious about the numbers of fish that would happily get along without aggression. Does that make aense? Aqadvisor i feel is more of a general guideline.

TabiLove

If you're going with the hatchets make sure you have a tight heavy glass top because they will jump out of the tank for absolutely no reason. I think you should do Bolivian rams with angels. I would do two of the rams and either one or two angels, be sure to introduce them all at the same time so that nobody has an advantage and can claim territory first.

I'd also aim at getting same sex fish to eliminate the chance of breeding and the aggression that follows. It can be tough to sex them when young so be sure you research it or try to go with someone that would be able to sex them for you.

Also, hatchets shouldn't be kept with boisterous fish...angels can sometimes be boisterous. It's luck of the draw, but just keep an eye out for it.

You should put the hatchets/rasboras in first, then a week later or so introduce the rams and angels.

Thank you! I asked on another forum, and could never get a straight answer from anyone.
Idk much about sexing fish. Im pretty new to all this. But like you said I'll just have to do my research. Is it better to get all males or all females?

TabiLove

Thank you! I asked on another forum, and could never get a straight answer from anyone.
Idk much about sexing fish. Im pretty new to all this. But like you said I'll just have to do my research. Is it better to get all males or all females?

TabiLove

Either or. I would personally aim for males because they usually have better coloring. With two males they will each claim their own little territory and there would be small fights for dominance but nothing too terrible.

But really, with cichlids every single fish is different. It all comes down to the individual fish you end up with. Go all out in your decorating to provide each fish a little area they could call their own, have lots of breaks in line of vision, places to hide, then if you do end up with a male/female for whatever reason you have a much better chance of pulling it off.

I agree with adding the angel(s) after the hatchets or harlies, it lets the little guys establish territory.
I have an angel in with my hatchets and he still chases them away from food a bit cause he's a jerk.
Also, since you have the space, I would increase the number of cories (single species group)...the more there are the more their personality shows :)

Yeah, I wanted to get more of the cories, but that was all they had at the store at the time. I finally got sand today to switch out my gravel. So I'm going to be doing that in the morning. And then maybe going to get some rasboras or hatchets on sunday, depending on if its still snowing anyways.. And maybe another cory or two, depending on what they have at the store. & a few more plants. And then in another couple of weeks i'll go get 2 rams and 1-2 angels. Thanks for all the advice! :)

TabiLove

Back
Top Bottom