Stocking Opinions - 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbecher

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good morning all,

I wanted to get your stocking opinions for my 75g tank; Looking for what fish I should finish with.

Currently Have:
- 1 Foxface Rabbitfish
- 1 Yellow Watchman Goby
- 1 Orange Spot Goby
- 1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang

Looking at the following
- 2 Ocellaris Clowns (Most Likely)
- ???

I was thinking of Clowns, and then finishing with some schooling firefish to try and keep the tank as a primarily small fish tank. Thanks for any thoughts and help!

Brad

Edit: My appologies if this is the wrong section; I don't really see a "Livestock" section

I don't know much about Saltwater fish yet but I noticed you are located in Langly AFB glad to talk to you I was USAF 1966 to 1970 509th Bomb Wing Pease AFB, Guam, Utapao I was Jet Engine Tech on the B-52D Spent most of my time in Utapao main bombing base to Vietnam for B-52 also KC-135 of coarse they went hand to hand cant fly a B52 without a KC135 in those days.

Definitely the Kole tang. I love those fish. They are good sized tangs that will fit in the 75G. What about a yellow tang? Those are pretty nice too. Try looking at some blennies, there are some really awesome ones out there. Also, look at the pajama cardinals. Since you have such a big tank, is you get 3 they will shoal together, and it looks awesome. I have ocellaris and i would reccomend it to anybody. I'll think of a few others in a little bit. :)

I have a Yellow Tang great fish I have a clip with seaweed everyday for her and I have a lawnmower blennie he is fun to watch he and the yellow tang love that seaweed, I call them he's and she's but I have no idea what sex they are. also I have two True Percula's everyone should have them.

zero, that kole tang is a nice fish just googled it, how would it get along with a dof face puffer going into tank at the same time soon asmy tank cycles I will stock it 56 gal I really like the sailfin also

Other than the blenny and clowns and MAYBE the kole, none of those fish belong in a 56g tank. IMO

Meaning the puffer, sailfin and yellow

Captain, thanks, based on recommended size as fully grown they should be in min of 75, my thought was as juvinilles this would be okay from what I have read they May grow 1 inch per year. My thought is to have a really large tank or two in the future before I go over the 3 inch per gallon rule I have read unlike FW at one inch.

Do you think that will work for awhile ??

Hard to say really.. it all depends on the fish. I know people that keep some fairly large fish in 55G tanks.. and the fish do fine.. but i know of more people that kept large fish in smaller tanks.. and their entire tanks crashed because a fish got ich, or some stress-induced disease.. and it died and other fish got infected etc..

Personally, No,

It's not just the size of the fish at the current time and growth rate. Fish that require larger tanks like to swim. Smaller tanks have less length that prohibits this, thus possibly stressing the fish leading to disease. It also has to do with their desired territorial boundries and again the lack of space and perceived overcrowding because of the boundaries.

A child would be no happier living in a closet than an adult, even though they are smaller. Frankly the child wouldn't be any happier of you told the child that you were going to get them a bigger closet shortly either.

Finally, and not directed at you, but if I had a dollar for everyone who said they were going to buy a bigger tank "soon" and never did... well you know the rest.

A child would be no happier living in a closet than an adult, even though they are smaller. Frankly the child wouldn't be any happier of you told the child that you were going to get them a bigger closet shortly either.

LOL! That is one weird analogy.. but it sure does make sense.

Hard to say really.. it all depends on the fish. I know people that keep some fairly large fish in 55G tanks.. and the fish do fine.. but i know of more people that kept large fish in smaller tanks.. and their entire tanks crashed because a fish got ich, or some stress-induced disease.. and it died and other fish got infected etc..

One really has nothing to do with the other. There are always exceptions but that doesn't negate the need or accuracy of the rule. Animal husbandry guidelines exist for a reason and are based on experience and years of research.

Before you decide visit the various sites available and make an informed decision

Thought I might get bored today with nothing to do until your analogy LOL, funny because in a Psyh class once they used fish for an example on something, fish have no thoughts, fish have no memory and some can be put in a little 1 gal bowl to them it is a ocean, others need 75 gal because of there movement requires a bigger area.

So Sure size of tank and many other things cause stress and yes I am sure plenty of research has been done to come up with these figures, but I also lean slightly towards what zero said sometimes it can work and sometimes not.

FJMCM, great to see another Airman on the boards!

Well an update; I went to one of our nicewst local stores and they had a Mimic tang there that I really wanted, but it just looked aweful, ripped fins and all so I passed it up. I'll be picking up my Kole tang later this afternoon.

I'm still looking for suggestions to finish this off; I'm assuming I'm probably nearing my limit for maxed fish so I've updated the first post. Keep them comming!

One thing for sure these folks in hear know there stuff.

What do you do for The Air Force and the USA, and thanks for serving our Country today.

Thanks Captain for your much appreciated input and knowledge.

I have a 75 gallon and right now I have the following fish.

2 firefish
1 copper banded butterfly
1 orange spotted goby

I have 3 PJ cardinals on order for next week.

I also plan on getting 2 clowns (not sure which type yet) and a Dwarf Angle (probably a flame).

The firefish have great personalities and so does the goby. If you like the Copper Banded Butterfly, you may want to see if a LFS has one and make sure it's eating. I've heard they are very particular when it comes to feeding but mine is eating pellets with no issue.

Hope that helps.

Captain, maybe i didn't get my point across clear enough. Allow me to do so.

I understand fully that there are guidelines for the livestock that go in our aquariums. And i always do research on the things i am going to buy before i just throw them in my tank. I am a firm believer in doing so, and i don't just throw in my tank whatever i think looks nice. What i was trying to say was.. that there are quite a a lot of people out there that do not research.. and do exactly that; impulse buy without prior knowledge to care for the fish. And i've seen many on this forum. And most of the time, it ends up heading south. But on the rare occasion, like a yellow tang living a full, healthy life in a 55G tank, when its minimum tank size is 75G.

You say that the things i said, have nothing to do with eachother? Well then i guess the whole theory about ich.. means nothing. When a powder blue tang gets ich.. because it is being kept in a 40G tank.. your saying that the rest of the fish in that tank won't get ich? Seems to me that it is pretty relevent in this situation. If a fish gets ich because its stressed for being in a tank smaller than what it can live in.. or any other reason for that matter.. then most of the time the other fish will have it as well. Just ask InfernoST.

And i am not disagreeing with what you said.. im just clearing up my point.

Bump: For some reason I can't edit my first post; Still looking for those last few fish oppinions :)

Current:
- Foxface
- Yellow eyed Kole
- Eibli Mimic
- YWG
- Oraange spotted goby

Finishing with:
- Possibly 2 clowns + something?

Weird that you can't edit the first post lol. Still, it's better that you didn't edit it, and bumped the thread. This way it shows up on the site, and people click here first to see what's up! :D

Anyways. Is "Current" the fish you already have? Or is that your set list. If it is not your set list, i would advise you to put the fish in the tank from least aggressive, to aggressive. So anything that is generally peaceful, and not bossy etc.. Would be the first fish to go in the tank. Then you would put in the fish that still may be considered peaceful, but are extremely territorial. I would do research on each of your fish, and find out which ones are the least aggressive, and which are the most aggressive.

So far, i think that list is perfect. What is the YWG? Sorry :p But everything else sounds awesome. The foxfish are really awesome fish IMO. I would also definitely go with 2 clowns. No SW tank is complete without some sort of clowns in there. If i may make a suggestion, get the ocellaris. IMO, they are the most friendliest, and the funnest to watch. They are like the puppies of the ocean.. lol. But i guess that goes for any clowns that aren't in the tank with another species of clowns. Hahaha. The Ocellaris, True Percs, and the Clarkii's are my favorite. All of them are awesome. But the Clarkii and True Perculas are considerably more aggressive then the Ocellaris. For a 75G, what is on your list isn't really that much at all. There's only one tang, and the foxface. So that's where most of your bioload will be coming from. Clowns and Gobies have considerably smaller bioloads then the other fish on your list. Never even heard of a Ebili, so whatever lol.

My last two suggestion, would to be to get either a Cardinal, or a Blenny. My personal choices on those fish are a "Starry Blenny" and a "Pajama Cardinal". Relatively small fish, with also low bioloads. They are really awesome fish. In my next tank, i'm definitely getting the starry blenny. Love those guys. They are so cool. They change colors when spawning comes around. It's actually pretty weird. But yeah, great list set up you have there so far. IMO.

You and I must think alike Zero, I was eyeing a blenny, they have an all black one at a store here that is awesome and has lots of character!

The current list is what I have already, and it's actually two tangs; See here: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Mimic Eibli Tang

He is BEAUTIFUL and so friendly :)

Edit: That starry blenny is beautiful as well :) I wonder how he would interact if he came into contact with two firefish, just hypothetically.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom