Stocking question for 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amaunet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would this plan be overstocked? Suggestions?

I have 1 three spot gourami, thinking of adding:

5 Dalmatian Mollies
2-5 Cory Cats
10 ghost shrimp - I know gourami like to eat them, but if I remember correctly the internet suggests doing that for a treat for them anyway.

I’m using distilled water with seachem stability to add nutrients back in (at least that’s what my LFS said to do, I’d take any suggestions if that is wrong.

5 days in API master kit test results sitting at:

Ph 6.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

API strips read 30 for GH and a very very light green so I’m going to say 40 for KH.

I’ve got 3 ribbon plants, 3 Anubis frazaeri plants, and I’m attempting to grow dwarf hairgrass.

Is this a 20 high or 20 long ? The cory should be in group of at least 5 for various reasons - but there are different types of cory of different sizes - I would suggest pygmy cory for a small tank esp if it is a 20 high are they are the smallest. I would stay away from larger cory or maybe drop the cory completely. The grouami is the biggest problem - it is a large fish for a small tank esp if it is a 20 high (limited swimming room). If you dropped the current gourami things would be fine but when that gourami becomes an adult the tank will be too small for it. Mollies are not small fishes either and you are going to be crowding things with 5 in a 20 (that ignores the gourami). If the tank is a 20 long you might get away with the mollies but i'd consider something smaller if you can find something you like - there are smaller mollies but not they come in dalmation colouring which is common for salfin (larger mollies).

The dimensions of the tank are 23 inch length, 16 in from the top of the gravel to the fill line, and 12 inch front to back. Also it has the fluval aqua clear power filter for 10-30 gallon.

It is a 20 high. Anyway I think what i said is accurate though others might have different suggestions or comments so you might wait a few days to see what they have to say.

Glad I asked then. While I am hoping to get a 75 gallon before long, in the meantime I don’t want to get any fish and have them be in a bad environment. I’m going to stop asking/listening the lady at my local PetSmart, that stocking was her suggestion, and I wasn’t sure it sounded right, which is what prompted me to ask y’all’s opinions.

Back
Top Bottom