stocking question for new malawi tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crushed coral would be the best. You can add it into the substrate or put it in a media bag and stick it in the filter. Most people prefer to use it in the filter now days. In there it will help with filtration too because the beneficial bacteria can grow on it

Or you could use Texas rock to make up your scap and that should get and keep your pH up

A little confused here...
I have a bag of 10lb of crushed coral.
I don't think that will all fit in a basked in the FX5 canister filter.
if I bag the CC in media bags, I'm guessing I can fit 3-4 bags (3-4 cups) in the filter.
is that enough? I was reading 1/2 cup per 20g of water would be enough.

Right now, I put 2 cups of cc in 2 media bags and hid them in the tank.
would that work?

Another option would be to dump all the cc in the tank and mix it with the sand.
But I read that the sand then does not look good.

That's fine if you just it in the tank it will still work. Also what you added should be enough

Thanks. I ended up putting 3 cups in 3 bags in the filter.
How long will it take to see results ( higher PH)?

Ok after 3 (1 cup) bags of crushed coral in the filter, my PH might have gone up 0.2 to
7.2 I wanted to add fish tomorrow so I'm starting to add baking soda one scoop at a time to raise the PH. I hope to get it close to 8.0 today.
I'm also doing the massive water change today to remove Nitrates.
I hope I don't mess up anything. I want the fishies to be happy in their new home. :)

Ok after 3 (1 cup) bags of crushed coral in the filter, my PH might have gone up 0.2 to
7.2 I wanted to add fish tomorrow so I'm starting to add baking soda one scoop at a time to raise the PH. I hope to get it close to 8.0 today.
I'm also doing the massive water change today to remove Nitrates.
I hope I don't mess up anything. I want the fishies to be happy in their new home. :)

Yea the crushed coral will take awhile. The baking soda could make it fluctuate.

Yea the crushed coral will take awhile. The baking soda could make it fluctuate.

Andrew, do you see that as an issue?
I guess so if the baking soda gets me to say 8.0 but then the cc kicks in over time and raises the PH even further. is that what you mean?
If so, what should I do?
A-Add cichlids with a 7.2ish PH and then wait for CC to raise it over time?
B-add Baking soda to hit 8.0, add fish, and deal with the cc spike later?
C- wait X days for cc to raise ph and add fish later.
D- is there a D option? :confused:

Thanks for the help

Personally you don't have the fish yet and the worst thing to do is rush things. I'd wait a few days for the cc to start working. Do your water changes to get the trates down.

I've just skimmed the thread but I have to disagree about the redtail shark. I'd say give it a go. Get a one larger than the cichlids and it should he able to hold its own. I've had one in my Malawi tank for years and it's the bully.

Personally you don't have the fish yet and the worst thing to do is rush things. I'd wait a few days for the cc to start working. Do your water changes to get the trates down.

Roger that.
I'm using these extra days to go see what the LFS and PetSmart have.
Today's PH reading went up to 7.6
Not sure if this is the CC working or the 1 tbsp of baking soda I put in the morning.
I'll keep the daily water changes to keep nitrates down and will likely wait until sunday to add some fish.

I've just skimmed the thread but I have to disagree about the redtail shark. I'd say give it a go. Get a one larger than the cichlids and it should he able to hold its own. I've had one in my Malawi tank for years and it's the bully.

Yes yes. that is the plan. the shark will one of the first to be added to the tank.

This is what I have so far. Still looking for a Jalo Reef.
They all seem to be getting along fine. I hope that stays that way. :)

Electric Yellow
red zebra
powder blue
Demasoni
yellow tail acei
snow white
cobalt blue zebra
OB Zebra
Gold Nugget Pleco
3 Clown Loach
Red tail shark
Red top Hongi

That's a lot of different fish, I hope they all get along for you. Normally some of those wouldn't work but sometimes it's always worth a try.

That's a lot of different fish, I hope they all get along for you. Normally some of those wouldn't work but sometimes it's always worth a try.

I really wanted a variety of fish instead of a lot of the same.
Unfortunately, there was a death last night. :(
The OB Zebra passed.
From the first day, he was a loner and never saw him eat.
No one bothered him and he did not move much.
All other fish are very active and eating. Water tested fine.

All other fish seem fine, very active, nice color, eating. Sometimes the clowns and cichlids get together and seem to "school". A couple of them are diggers.

I really wanted a variety of fish instead of a lot of the same.
Unfortunately, there was a death last night. :(
The OB Zebra passed.
From the first day, he was a loner and never saw him eat.
No one bothered him and he did not move much.
All other fish are very active and eating. Water tested fine.

All other fish seem fine, very active, nice color, eating. Sometimes the clowns and cichlids get together and seem to "school". A couple of them are diggers.

I did the same but I have a variety of mbuna only and it's worked out well so far.

pictures!

Roger that. I meant to take some last night but got busy with other stuff.
I did sat in front of the tank for like 1/2 hour and just watched them.
It's quite entertaining.

It was funny to see the socolofi go in a clay pot and grab sand and throw it outside.
The Demasoni is digging up a tunnel under a log.

Pics coming soon.

Update: The mixed tank has worked fine. All fish getting along.
Today, I added 6 peacocks and 2 haps. All larger than the mbunas.
The demasoni got very mean and did some fin damage to a larger Venustus.
I ended up removing the demasoni from the tank and rearranged all the rocks and drift wood.
Not sure if I should put the demasoni back.
Pics coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom