Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amq

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I've got a Size 14 BioCube and I was wondering if people would be willing to give me fish stocking advice. Currently I have:
1 Ocellaris Clown
1 Yellowtailed Blue Damsel
1 Pajama Cardinal
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
and the cleanup crew (some snails and hermits)

I do water changes weekly and have a very good filtration system. I would like to get a bicolor blenny and a sixline wrasse (my last one kicked the bucket). Of course I would get the wrasse small and make it the last addition. Would adding the blenny be a bio-overload? And I know that sixlines can be aggressive to cardinals, but mine is fairly robust and sticks to my clownfish like glue, who in turn protects him from "harm". Is adding the wrasse too much of a risk or should I go for it? Oh, also, what kinds of soft corals do you all recommend?

Many thanks.

well the rule of thumb is one inch of fish per two gallons of water...take it or leave it

I think you're overstocked as it is, but that's just my opinion. In addition, both those fish are recommended for 30+ gallon tanks.

Regarding corals, it would depend on your lighting...

From what I've been doing research on, the bicolor is good in 7 gallons and the wrasse in 13 gallons. I do agree with Fishypop22, I know what the rule is, therefore I'm not getting the bicolor blenny. I have a 10,000K in there.

The sixline needs space to swim. A 14g nano is to small (IMO) and may be why you lost the first one.

Keep in mind, even though all the fish you have are suitable for 10+ tanks if you put to many of those in a 14g they'll be overcrowded.

I'm not sure of the dimensions but aren't nano tank more vertical than they are horizontal? If so, that makes your 14g closer to a 10 or smaller with respect to fish selection. The size recommendation is based on swimming length rather than water volume in most cases.

Thank you. We think the first one died because he injured himself on the rock work (he had a pretty large gash over his eye) and in turn that fully stressed him out. Do you happen to know what else may eat bristleworms?

From what I've been doing research on, the bicolor is good in 7 gallons and the wrasse in 13 gallons. I do agree with Fishypop22, I know what the rule is, therefore I'm not getting the bicolor blenny. I have a 10,000K in there.

I'm confused on how you're coming up with the fact you need a 7g for the blenny, and 13g for the wrasse?

Not only are those not standard tank sizes, I've never EVER heard of anyone recommending a wrasse for a 13g (?) tank. As CaptainAhab mentioned, the "minimum tank size" normally has to do with what kind of environment the fish wants to be in. Fish that like to "stretch their fins" want bigger tanks - regardless of how big the actual fish is.

Regarding the lighting on the tank, I was asking more about wattage - not color. But I'm assuming you have the standard lighting on it which is 48W of compact fluorescent. With that, you should be able to do lower light corals like mushrooms and some zoanthids, as well as lower light LPS corals and probably mid light LPS if you put them up higher in the tank.

I also have a 14 Gallon Biocube and I agree with Kurt. Already you are overstocked and as Kurt said the Wrasse needs plenty of room to swim around. As far as corals I have an Open Brain(Bottom of tank), Tube Coral(Middle), Chili Coral(Middle), & Xenia(Top).

I'd also like to add that the inch per gallon rule (even if it's two gallons) was developed for freshwater and is a very rough guide at best. I had a 6 line wrasse in a 30 long and I'd say that was about the smallest tank I'd keep one of those fish in. With three fish in a 30g (6 line, pygmy angel and a Falco hawkfish) they frequently got on each other's nerves and I realized I probably should have just had two fish in that tank.

Just want to chime in because all the suggestions in this thread have been very helpful to me, thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom