Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SirCastic

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm setting up a 30 gallon shrimp tank and i want something more than shrimp. Maybe one or 2 fish that are colorful and peaceful. The shrimp i'm getting are

30 Bee Shrimp
30 Rili Shrimp
30 Amano Shrimp
1 Bamboo shrimp
What fish can live with the above?

First off, I think you have too many shrimp. I would say 2 shrimp per gallon, especially since you have amanos.

As for fish, there sadly are not many options. Rili shrimp and Bee shrimp are one of the smaller shrimp and so almost any fish will kill and or eat them. Your best bet would probably be several endler's livebearers. They are very colorful. However, make sure the tank is heavily planted though because even endlers, which are pretty small, can kill the shrimp.

Boraras, CPDs, other "nano" schoolers would work fine. I do agree that there are too many different types of shrimp though. The amanos get considerably larger than most people are familiar with. I would not keep them in a tank with other shrimp and no more than 2 in a 30G.

I'm setting up a 30 gallon shrimp tank and i want something more than shrimp. Maybe one or 2 fish that are colorful and peaceful. The shrimp i'm getting are

30 Bee Shrimp
30 Rili Shrimp
30 Amano Shrimp
1 Bamboo shrimp
What fish can live with the above?

I agree with what's been said, maybe do 10-15 each Bee and Rili (A great choice BTW..awesome looking shrimp) and maybe 4-5 Amano's. They'll reach up to 2 inches. I'd say wait on the Bamboo till the tank is well established. They are filter feeders and tanks with established filters will have the microbes they feed off of. Plus they'll get 3+ inches.

Aside from those mentioned ... Neon, Cardinal or Rummynose tetras are fairly docile around shrimp. However, while adult and juvenile shrimp may be safe ... baby shrimp are always in danger of being eaten by fish, even nano fish.
The only fish that'll give you near 100% certainty of not attacking baby shrimp are Ottos.

However, if you provide plenty of DW, Rocks and Plants for hiding areas, enough babies should survive to give you a nice growing colony.

Boraras, CPDs, other "nano" schoolers would work fine. I do agree that there are too many different types of shrimp though. The amanos get considerably larger than most people are familiar with. I would not keep them in a tank with other shrimp and no more than 2 in a 30G.

Well then I'll nix the amano shrimp, in still going to stay with the 30 bee and 30 rili shrimp. Somebody in this forum said bee shrimp are compatible with rili shrimp, is it any kind of bee shrimp? And I know for a fact shrimp have a small violas and can be kept in 10 per gallon situations. The bamboo shrimp is sitting nicely in an established 55 I have and I think as far as fish I'll get some rasboras.

Well then I'll nix the amano shrimp, in still going to stay with the 30 bee and 30 rili shrimp. Somebody in this forum said bee shrimp are compatible with rili shrimp, is it any kind of bee shrimp? And I know for a fact shrimp have a small violas and can be kept in 10 per gallon situations. The bamboo shrimp is sitting nicely in an established 55 I have and I think as far as fish I'll get some rasboras.

Yep, you can mix the bee (Cardinia) and Rili (NeoC) .. no chance of cross breeding. 30 of each should work .. Rili's are just a color morph of RCS so they're small ... bee's also stay small so Bio-loads shouldn't be an issue. However keep in mind that although they have small bio-loads, shrimp are fairly prolific breeders. I don't think you want your tank to have that "shrimp Infested" look. I've seen tanks on youtube where the WHOLE substrate is just shrimp ... plus hundreds swimming around the tank. On the flip side, lots of shrimp means you can sell them to members and or to local LFS's.

I'd encourage you to reconsider Amano ... I love them. They're always active, are a nice size and always eating algae. Plus ... even though they are Cardinia, they won't breed with your Bee.

Yep, you can mix the bee (Cardinia) and Rili (NeoC) .. no chance of cross breeding. 30 of each should work .. Rili's are just a color morph of RCS so they're small ... bee's also stay small so Bio-loads shouldn't be an issue. However keep in mind that although they have small bio-loads, shrimp are fairly prolific breeders. I don't think you want your tank to have that "shrimp Infested" look. I've seen tanks on youtube where the WHOLE substrate is just shrimp ... plus hundreds swimming around the tank. On the flip side, lots of shrimp means you can sell them to members and or to local LFS's.

I'd encourage you to reconsider Amano ... I love them. They're always active, are a nice size and always eating algae. Plus ... even though they are Cardinia, they won't breed with your Bee.

I may get some, if i did How many should i get?

I may get some, if i did How many should i get?

Start with 3-4 juveniles ... Usually less than 1inch at LFS's. Also Amano larvae need salt water to develop so you won't have to worry about them breeding out of control.

Back
Top Bottom