Stocking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureGirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 26 gallon aquarium housing 8 otocinclus catfish, 8 ghost shrimp, and 3 amono shrimp. The tank is fully cycled, and I was wondering how many more small fish can live in it comfortably.

Since most of my current residents hang out primarily on the bottom of the tank, I thought getting some mid-tank and surface dwelling fish might make my aquarium look less bare. However, I'm concerned about upper-level fish picking on my ghost shrimp or any fry my fish and shrimp might produce in the future. :(

Any advice is welcome, as well as suggestions of fish that might be compatible with my current residents.

Thanks in advance!

I would think ghost shrimp can handle themselves. You definitely have room for a nice school of small fish. What interests you?

I've been looking into females betas and neon tetras, but I really have no experience with either and am definitely open to other options. :)

The population of your tank will be tied to the size and type of filtration you have and to your weekly water changes. I like to double the filtration per gallon. Say you have a 26 gal. Tank. I would use a filter rated for a 50 - 60 gallon tank.
You listed possible future fish choices, neon tetras or betas. They are very colorful fish but I prefer fish that are just as colorful, more durable and active like dwarf neon rainbow fish. They stay small, not aggressive, and your tank could probably support a school of 5.
Good luck with your tank.

If you like female betta then look at sparkling gourami. Ghost shrimp might have an issue but these are cool little guys

Back
Top Bottom