Stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamers80

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! Hopefully I’m posting this in the right area, I am new to aquariums and need help with stocking suggestions. I have a 38 gallon bowfeont aquarium with Marineland penguin 200 filter and a disk air bubbler also included is a heater set to 79 f. I currently have 2 Dalmatian Mollies and am seeking advice in adding more fish. I would like to add neon tetras but not sure of the amount I could add. Also any other stocking suggestions of compatible fish would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for the help. I’ve attached a picture as well of current setup. The water is now clear and cycled as well.

Attachments

• E713FEE9-F986-476A-B61E-EB281A3512CF.jpg
    E713FEE9-F986-476A-B61E-EB281A3512CF.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 36
Well, you could go with maybe 16~ or so neon tetras, maybe get a couple more Molly's so they have a small group, then I would get 6-8 corydora catfish as bottom dwellers and maybe a gourami or 2 as a centerpiece, or instead of gouramis a pair of German Blue Rams, really pretty fish IMO.

Thank you so much for the advice!! Also, it’s a new tank. I’ve added the 2 Dalmatian Mollies today actually. When would be acceptable to begin adding additional tank mates?

Welcome to the hobby! First things first, did you cycle your new aquarium?

As to stocking (if the aquarium was cycled) I'd see what all fish you like in the stores and then researching before trying to put more fish in, it can save you headaches in the long run by avoiding fish that won't get along, get too big, need different setups etc *before* it's a problem.

It can also save you from getting fish someone recommends online and finding out you aren't really a fan of them once you get them home (happened to me lol).

Another thing to look at is levels of activity, some fish swim everywhere, some the bottom, some up top, and some all over.

So I'd say look at your fisg stores, on youtube and see what catches your eye first and then we can help narrow it done to a successful mix :)

Thank you so much for the advice!! Also, it’s a new tank. I’ve added the 2 Dalmatian Mollies today actually. When would be acceptable to begin adding additional tank mates?
Well did you fully cycle the tank and make sure the water levels are done fluctuating? If you did then say you went with 16 neons I would add about 8 in a few days then 8 about 5~ days later, then add 3 Cory's and 3~ days later add the rest. Then a couple days later add the gouramis or GBR pair. I would just space them out a few days apart so the bioload can adjust

I have cycled. But still a tad nervous. When I added the 2 Dalmatian mollies today for the first couple of hours really they mainly stayed at the top and by the filter. Since then they seem to have calmed down and starting exploring the other areas of the tank. Is this normal? I’m also taking a sample of the water to be tested at the local pet store just to double check on the levels to make sure I’m doing this right.

Yeah I'd say that's normal, they get stressed going to new homes. I have a rainbow shark that turns from black to a VERY light gray, almost white, whenever i had to move him to a new tank. And that's good ? you sound like you'll be a good fish parent :)

Back
Top Bottom