Stocking rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jharvey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi folks - I traded in my 10-gallon tank for a 29-gallon. Yahoo! I'm wondering how many fish to add at once and how much time to give the biofilter to adapt in between additions.

Ultimately I'd like:
3-4 Mollies
4-6 danios
4-5 guppies or platys
1 dwarf gourami/dwarf angel fish or similarly-sized non-schooling fish
1 mystery snail

Current Parameters:
Started with 5 gallons, all of the gravel, biofilter media, a piece of the mechanical filter media and 3 plants from my established (6 months) 10-gallon tank. Added my current stock: 1 24k-Molly, 3 zebra danios, 1 mystery snail.

Now it has been a week and I just added another zebra danio yesterday.

Current stats:
high pH - 7.8
ammonia - 0
nitrites - 0
nitrates <5ppm
temp - 80 deg. F

When can I add more and how many should I add at once?

I would say 4-7 days between additions depending on how safe you want to play it. I would add the guppies followed by the gourami last because they are probably the least hardy on your list and the gourami will probably claim a little area as his territory after being in the tank a few days.

The guppies are the least hardy?

Should I be introducing them one at a time? From setting up a small tank for a friend it seems like guppies don't like to be alone so I'm wondering if I should add them 2 or 3 at a time.

Sorry for the late reply, I would say go by inch of fish for deciding how many to add at once.I would try 5 inches at first, so for example if the guppies are 1 inch long add 5 at once. This is all up to you though, and slower will be safer. I just went from around a 50% stock to 100% at once in my 45 but I was prepared and actually expecting a mini cycle but after day 3 my ammonia and nitrite are 0.

Thanks - I'll probably try something in-between. Maybe 3 inches at a time.

Did you quarantine your new fish before adding them?

No I did not quarantine, yes I know I should but I buy from a local store with a good rep and they keep their tanks clean and do not use a shared filtration system for all their tanks. This is really no excuse and will probably bite me one of these days.

I have one tip. Add the danios first, because they are the hardiest on the list. Also, I think you could avoid aggression issues if you got all the schools at the correct numbers first. So three danios wouldn't have to live with guppies or another fish, because I feel like that might prompt aggression if they have inadequate numbers..
I agree with the idea of guppies and gourami last. :) good luck!

Back
Top Bottom