Stocking suggestions for 30G?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ravynnm

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been dying to get 3 Yellow Labs then adding 3 more, but all of them are juveniles in the store and i won't be able to tell if they are male/female.

What are some good community fish i can put into my tank that will get between 2-5 inches?

:thanks:

If you get males and females the males might get very aggressive and there won't be many fish that could be kept with them.

I know that. I just said i wouldn't be able to tell if they were male or female, and yellow labs are hard to sex anyways.

So im looking for some non-aggressive fish i could put in the tank so i don't have to worry about a skeleton floating around some day lol.

Doesn't really matter - I don't want fish as small as guppies though :)

A honey gourami would be a good centerpiece fish. For a school, you could do 8 Black Ruby Barbs. They are larger like Tiger Barbs, but nicer and work well in a community tank. Then for the bottom you could add some cory cats. It would be a balanced tank, the Gourami stays towards the top, barbs mid level and cory cats at the bottom. You could maybe add a pair of Bolivian Rams too.

That sounds like a very good combo. Only problem is my LPS might not have those kinds - i have 2 i can go to and check.

I have no LFS's around so thats why. But they do have a large selection; so i wouldn't doubt that they are there!

I really like harlequin rasboras. If you like schooling fish, you could get some of them or maybe some neons or cardinal tetras?

Doesn't really matter - I don't want fish as small as guppies though :)

Didn't see this... Started typing, had to get up and do something else, came back, finished typing and then read all the other posts that happened in that time. lol

Also, keep in mind that some LFS can special order fish if they don't have them in stock. :)

Welcome to Aquarium Advice by the way! Enjoy! :)

Didn't see this... Started typing, had to get up and do something else, came back, finished typing and then read all the other posts that happened in that time. lol

Lol thats alright :) first time i got 6 neon tetras and they all died. Turns out i didnt cycle the tank. That was 4 years ago lol. I might actually consider them, though

I know you can get them at Petco sometimes, and they will also order fish for you most of the time. It just takes a while sometimes. If I had an extra tank, I would order them for you, let them rest a few days, then ship them to you, but I can't put them in my tank :lol:
Liveaquaria.com is a good place to order online, they have a pretty good shipping price.

The 2 stores here are Pets Unlimited and Pet Valu. I've considered ordering online but im a little iffy on that.

When I head into town on Saturday ill check out the fish and see what they have in stock :)

Usually big box stores (Petsmart for example) won't order fish for you, but if these are locally owned, 'mom and pop' stores, usually they can.

Back
Top Bottom