Stocking Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobriaclord

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 37 gallon tank that is just finished cycling (going to give it a few more days just to be sure).

As of now, I have two green cory cats.

I know I want to get at least one more green cory (probably two).
I am also thinking of getting a Golden Dojo Loach.

I need fish that will occupy the middle and top of the tank. I am thinking maybe a blue gourami? Maybe some angels?

I want fish that are hardy and unique. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help.

I've seen some "emerald rasboras" that were very cool looking. Not at all like a harlequin rasbora, but more like a cichlid. I have no idea if that was the proper name for them or not, but look them up and see! From what I understood they are a schooling fish that get about 3". Another one of my favorites are the tiger barbs, esp. the albino variety! When they are babies they remind me of little pirahnas, and a large school of 16 or more would look great! You can mix and match the orginal tigers, albino tiger, and the green ones together. Colors do not matter to them and they will form a pecking order.

Oops.. Did a little research and apparently the "DWARF" Emerald Rasboras stay very tiny, an inch or less!

Last edited:
I'd say at least 4 Cory's, better with 6. The dojo loach I'd say no as they get large and need schools, and occupy the bottom of the tank. I am finishing my 37 g cycle and plan on
8 rumynose tetras
4 yoyo loaches
5 fancy guppies
1 pearl gourami
2 German blue rams
I also pass in the tiger barbs, unless that's the fish you want to stock around. If not, I'd say
4 emerald Cory's
1 angelfish
10 harqualin rasboras
6 black widow tetras
6 neon tetras

I'd say at least 4 Cory's, better with 6. The dojo loach I'd say no as they get large and need schools, and occupy the bottom of the tank. I am finishing my 37 g cycle and plan on
8 rumynose tetras
4 yoyo loaches
5 fancy guppies
1 pearl gourami
2 German blue rams
I also pass in the tiger barbs, unless that's the fish you want to stock around. If not, I'd say
4 emerald Cory's
1 angelfish
10 harqualin rasboras
6 black widow tetras
6 neon tetras

How are yoyo loaches? are they hardy? I wanted to get some kuhli loaches but I couldn't find any. Also since both the cory cats and loaches are bottom feeders, do they exclude each other?

I don't know, bristle nose pleco is your best option, but they have massive bioloads. So depending on what ya like, you can do
1 angel
6 Cory's or 4 yoyo loaches
8 black widow tetrA
6 lemon tetra

What about an Otocinclus Catfish?

WHat are my alternatives to tetras?

I think I'll hold off on otos until I get an algae problem.

How long do I keep old filter media running through my tank? I tested both today and yesterday and got 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, ~5 nitrates.

I think I'll hold off on otos until I get an algae problem.

How long do I keep old filter media running through my tank? I tested both today and yesterday and got 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, ~5 nitrates.

How long have you had the old media running? I would give it atleast two weeks. And just as a side note oto's don't eat all algae, I think Librarygirl has oto's and she said it took them a while to actually eat fish food and they can be picky eaters, hopefully she can chime in here pretty soon, just don't go and get some and expect them to take care of an algae problem if you ever encounter that (which hopefully you don't!)

Thanks. I just figured out I have bronze cory cats instead of emerald ones (pet store mislabeled) so I am going to get around 4-5 more of those.

How long have you had the old media running? I would give it atleast two weeks. And just as a side note oto's don't eat all algae, I think Librarygirl has oto's and she said it took them a while to actually eat fish food and they can be picky eaters, hopefully she can chime in here pretty soon, just don't go and get some and expect them to take care of an algae problem if you ever encounter that (which hopefully you don't!)

I'd let the old media run as long as you can; two weeks minimum, I'd aim for 4 if you can do it.

I do have Otos; I don't have an algae problem though, I've always liked them and I have room so I got some. They prefer to eat algae if you have it (diatoms mostly) but they'll graze on biofilm and other stuff in the tank that you can't see. If their bellies are rounded and look full then they're ok. A couple of mine did take to start eating some wafers (I put veggie and algae in there and I can't remember which they prefer) and they even started to graze on the New Life Spetrum pellets that fall to the bottom. I offer them blanched zucchini when I think of it too (never actually seen one eat it yet because I put it in at night but the next morning it's mostly gone). Otos can be sensitive though, I know of many people who have problems keeping them. I bought 4 and lost one in quarantine and have 3 left. So far so good. They are cute little buggers. Hard to find sometimes though unless they're hanging onto the side of the tank lol

You should get dwarf red gourami swim every were cardinal tetras are very pretty school fish some guppies or discus fish there amazing look up discus fish on google and go to images you should see some pics

Back
Top Bottom