Stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minotaur

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will be stocking my new 29 gallon tank in the next week or so. I keep flip/flopping on what kind of fish that I want to have.

I plan on three small peaceful fish that are reef safe and have no problems with inverts.

The only fish that I must have is a Royal Gramma. I also wanted a Flame Hawkfish, but have since found out the the Hawkfish will go after my shrimp.

Any suggestions that will help narrow the field would be greatly appreciated!

Royal gramma is a great choice. Purple firefish, perc clown, various gobies and some wrasses, like a six line, are all good choices.

Got my fish last night.
1-Royal Gramma, 1-Perc Clown, & 1-Yellowtail Damsel.

Wanted a Sixline Wrasse but, according to the lfs, they do not ship well here in the summer. so got the Damsel instead. I am told that i have 50-50 chance of the the Damsel making life tough on the Gramma and the Clown...we shall see.

The Gramma promptly disappeared into the lr as soon as I got him acclimated and set loose. He is fairly small (maybe 3/4") and there are LOTS of hiding places. My Sea Cucumber has been hiding since I got it as well.

Except for the crabs and snails, my little tank (which is now at max capacity) looks awfully bare....patience...patience....patience....ughhh

New tank with 3 fish in all at once? Whatch your levels to make sure the filtration is up to snuff. Also, that cucumber kinda made me sit up straight. Is it one of those that if it dies or gets harrased, would expell its innards and kill the tank? Being a new tank, I'd be a little on the whimpish side and delay a bit until the tank and new inhabitants are really settled. Just MHO.

ok...now you have me worried...

I put all three in together because I do not a a QT. The lfs thought i would be fine. They are all pretty small, and the tank has been cycled for about 3 weeks. I got Nitrates down to less than 10 before I put them in.

I will definitely monitor the tank daily. I believe that my filtration is in good shape. I have a skimmer and a filter, plus (2) 300gph power heads and 40 lbs of lr.

Not sure exactly what kind of Sea Cucumber I have. I will check with the lfs. Both of the owners at the lfs said that they have the same one, and that it was not unusual to disappear for several weeks at a time

thanks for the advice

I agree. Keep a very close eye on water parameters. Three fish in such a new tank is a bit much all at once. For the time being, feed VERY lightily. Once small feeding every two or three days is plenty. The more food you add, the more waste there will be. This can cuase your water parameters to decline in a hurry. Just make sure you have plenty of well aged SW on hand to do any PWC if you need to. I am a bit leary of the cucumber myself.

Now I am really worried.

Two of the books I used for my research said to add a sea cucumber a week or two after intruducing snails, which were supposed to be added once algae appeared. On top of that the lfs said they would be fine. If that cucumber dies inside my lr, i'm hosed!

Also, the books I used had (3) damsels or grammas as its example in a 30 gallon tank, and did not say I could not put them all in at once.

I will monitor twice a day if I need to. How long before i can sleep comfortably?

Just a quick update....

All the fish are doing well, and the cucumber pops out every 4 or 5 days and then disappears for a week. Guess it's just his nature.

I really like the Gramma, she swims like my wife drives.

Back
Top Bottom