Stocking the 15gl.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting up a 15gl tank for my wife (just an excuse for me to get another tank lol). We were going through some types of fish for "her" tank and she has fell in love with Asian fish. I was going through some of my books and it gave a cookie cutter stock list. To me it seems like alot of fish for a small tank. 1 pair of dwarf gourami, 6 white clouds, 3 gold barbs, 3 cherry barbs, 2 yoyo loach. Will these all be fine in a 15gl? The book in question is "Animal Planet: Freshwater aquariums."

That seems like a stock list for a bigger tank. I know the cherry barbs aren't aggressive as most barbs. I have a very hard time finding a female gourami. Don't get 2 males since they are very territorial.

Thats what I thought, although I checked the stock list several times and it was for a 15gl. Looks like I will have to dig deeper and investigate this more. Going with the above list, what numbers would be more suited for the 15?

That's a tad on the over stocked side. I have 5 gold barbs and 2 of them are 2 inches alone. I had some dwarf gouarmis that were about that size as well. I've got 6 cherry barbs and 2 of those are about an inch and a half. There is potential for your list to outgrow the tank. I would also look into harlequin rasboras as they stay pretty small and are very active. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom