Stocklist for a 57g - what should I add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

punky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi AA, I am soon starting a 57g and would like to know if this stocklist is good. Maybe some of you could help me in what should I add to the list too. The tank will be planted and have plenty of caves along with a large driftwood.

List:

1 bala shark (currently in a 29g)
1 cobalt blue gourami (currently in 29g)
1 leopard pleco (currently in 29g)

adding ...

1 L2 - tiger pleco
1 BN pleco
2 pearl gouramis
1 rainbow shark

I'd like to add some more fish which swim in the middle of the tank. Can some ppl suggest some? Also I like african dwarf frogs and was thinking about putting in two. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks.

What are the dimensions of the tank, as it seems like the bottom will be overcrowded. Can you possibly only add one additional pleco? 3 seems like alot to me.

Also, balas are schooling fish who will outgrow that tank as well. A 6ft tank is best for them because of their size and activity level. I would add atleast one more bala with your current one and keep in mind that you'll have to upgrade him/her again in the future.

You could add a school of tetras to the tank. I think any medium sized ones would work. Are there any you like?

If the tank is pretty long, then you could add some Dwarf neon rainbowfish instead. They would add some color and character to the tank and are about 2 inches.

Hmm the tank is 130cm length, 40 wide and 50 high. Tetras I like are neons but I assume they will be a bit small. I saw the dwarf neon rainbowfish and woww they are nice! I may consider them. The tiger pleco grows up to 4 inches. Do you think the bottom will be overcrowded?

I have 3 dwarf neon rainbowfish, they are quite nice. Maybe some Congo Tetra's? They kind of nibble on plants, but i like mine. Espically the males (which grow up to 4 inchs.)

I very much like rainbows as well. There are a lot of different avenues you can take. Look around on websites, see what you like. www.elmersaquarium.com has a lot of "groups" of fish that work well together. You may want to check it out. Myself... I have a mix of a bit of everything.

Theres an employee at Big al's who was telling me his stock of a 75 gallon... 3 discus, 3 angels, 2 puffers, 2 gold rams, bunch of neons, some bala sharks, a couple pleco's... i can't remember the rest... all i know is that there was some REALLY odd combinations. I wouldn't risk it! lol. Either way, take pictures, and let us know how things go! :-D We LOVVEEEE pictures! right guys? :-D

The tiger pleco grows up to 4 inches. Do you think the bottom will be overcrowded?
I didn't know exactly how big a Tiger plec got. ;) Since the tank is pretty long (meaning more floor space) I think it will be ok. To make your balas happy (until you can get a bigger tank for them, of course), I would add atleast 1 more, preferably 2-3 more. Rainbow sharks can be aggressive sometimes, so unless you have to get one, I think I'd stick with the Bala group and the plecos. The rainbow shark would probably be ok though, if you got him/her a place to hide. They can sometimes be aggressive to other bottom feeders though...but if you can provide enough hiding spots and maybe some plants or something, it should be ok. And remember that plecos hide alot as well, so you'll have to provide them with some hiding places too. :)

I think it could work. I do think Neons would be ok...as far as I know, none of the fish on your list would eat them, except maybe the Balas, when they get bigger, but I have heard that they leave small fish alone. (But I have never kept them, so I can't be certain). I do think I would play it safe and go with a bigger bodied fish, like Rainbows. You could get a nice school of 8-10, or maybe more if they were your only school.

Thanks justonemore. I think I'll go for another bala shark and then get a school of rainbows. As I said in the first post, I will have plenty of caves and the tank will be planted well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom