Straightening flexible tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got some reinforced flexible tubing that's curled at the bottom above the sump, which is making it really hard to get the overflow directed into the sump.

Any tips to straighten this out? I'm wondering if a small torch on a low setting could heat it enough to straighten, but I don't want to melt it.

I've used boiling water in the past but the hairdryer should work just as well.

If your tubing is some sort of plastic, this will work. If its rubber, probably not...

When I had the same problem, I stuck the handle of a wooden spatula into my tube and roasted it over the electric stove till it got too hot to touch (but not melting), then let it cool down with the spatula still in it, and viola: straight tube

Thanks to all for the ideas.

This is 1 1/4" ID reinforced PVC flexible tubing - the stove idea would work great for smaller stuff. That, and I don't have a stove. Plus it's installed on a tank now ;)

I'm thinking about a quick fix - a 1 1/2" PVC pipe on the OUTSIDE of the tubing would do the trick, and take seconds to install. Over time, I'd guess it'd straighten itself out.

If that fails, I'm going to try the hair dryer idea first. Then I'll borrow a heat gun somewhere if that doesn't do it. My sump socks and brackets won't be in until Tuesday, so I have a few days to mess with it.

Back
Top Bottom