Strange beasts in my sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK... I've been trying to get a good picture of these things for months, and last night an asterina star and one of them made for a great photo opportunity.

Here's the picture, and then a description...

img_945662_0_30127c67473ea048776112afd4f88b7c.jpg

The white worm-like things live in one place in the sand. They don't seem to move around. They poke their "heads" out of the sand normally at night - or during the day if there's food in the tank, or an unlucky snail/star wanders too close - and lay their tentacles flat against the sand... kind of like a trap. The upper part of them are white and the lower part are kind of brownish. Of the few I've managed to grab with tweezers and yank out, the largest ones are only about 1/2" to 3/4" long. Hard to tell since they're just kind of a shriveled mass when they're out of the water.

The tentacles will retract into the "tube" when it's disturbed, and the whole tube will retract down in to the sand. Very very hard to grab the things. Only way I've gotten them before is when they're eating something hard and I can grab the whole thing, pinching the hard thing they're eating. Even though the things are at MOST 1/8" in diameter, then can "swallow" a small nassarius whole. I've witnessed it. I think that's why over the last 6 months or so I've had a hard time keeping them alive in my tank. When I add them, on average I lose two within the first hour after they crawl across one of these little land mines.

Sooo... after doing a bunch of research, I *think* I may be dealing with some type of hydroid, and not a worm. But the problem is I can't really find any pictures of hydroids that look like these. Tons of different hydroids, and tons of pictures... but I just keep coming up with nothing.

Now that I've gotten a good picture, hopefully someone here will be able to steer me in the right direction. Oh... and after I finally got the picture, I rescued the asterina star. It's doing fine now. :)

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm fascinated to hear what answers you get. I will no longer complain about my red bubble algae issue. At least red bubble algae doesn't eat my cleaning crew!!

Wow... I'm a noob and don't have a clue what to tell you, but those things sure look neat! Great pic! I'm glad you were able to save your star :) It wasn't traumatized too badly from the near-death experience?

Wow, that is crazy, wish I could help ya out. I new at this stuff, facinating...yet that kinda sucks. Good luck, im sure an expert will get on here soon and tell you what it is. Cool Pic btw

Wow Kurt, you really got a nice pic there, too bad it's not a good stuff to have in ur tank

Not the same but this might get you in the right direction:
Corymorpha nutans

My eyes went buggy after the first 50...lol.

Last edited:
OK... got a formal ID on this (from another forum... sorry... :( ) that I'm 100% sure of. It is a sand dwelling anemone of the family Edwardsiidae. I never knew there were "sand dwelling anemones". Learn something new everyday.

Glad you found out what it was. Interesting what you find in your reef tanks. You SW guys have all the fun with strange ID's. :)

Wow! Sand Dwelling Anemone? The things that the Ocean contains in Amazing.....

And scary!

Tank... you'll be amazed at the things that crop up in your tank over the years. In the last couple months, I've found some clams/bivalves (no... not the pretty ones!) in my rockwork that I've never noticed before. I'm sure they came with the rock, but I guess they just weren't big enough to see until now? Go figure.

Yeah I've seen some weird things in my tank and I am just like is it bad is it good? Right now I just let nature take it's course until I figure it's bad I need to get rid of it, all a learning process. Like you said you learn something new everyday I guess that's what I like about this hobby, it's like a Box of Chocolates you never know what your going to get. (Forrest Gump)....LOL

No joke. I had to rescue another asterina a couple nights ago. Ended up rescuing it three times! It just kept wandering over them! I finally put the little guy up into my rock work. Asterinas must be hardy little buggers because this one spent quite a while in its grasp before I noticed it. Seems like when they get a hold of a nassarius, it only takes about 30 seconds until they're dead meat.

Last weekend I went out and got another peppermint shrimp to replace the one that went AWOL on me about 6 months ago. Since these things are anemones, maybe the peppermint will take a liking to them since I have no aiptasia. Worth a shot...

Back
Top Bottom