Stray voltage???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I was at bigalsonline shopping for a new aquarium and some stuff to go with it. I was at accessories and saw 2 ground probes. I clicked on one and it said some stuff about stray voltage. I googles it and now I understand what stray voltage is. But is it only in saltwater or is it also in freshwater? Do I need a ground probe? They're worth it if it could help keep my fish healthier. I'm using a 1 time coupon code so I want to buy everything in need in 1 order. So it's better for me to buy it now then wait until I need it? So the question is do I need it? I plan to buy a 12 gallon eclipse with a 50 watt marineland stealth pro heater and 3 albino Cory catfish and my already owned female betta if that matters.

I don't think you need it. Just make sure you keep your wires insulated (they should be already) and make sure water won't drip down into the outlet.

Ok they're pretty cheap if it would help keep my fish healthy but if you're sure freshwater aquariums don't have stray voltage I won't get it.
I don't think you need it. Just make sure you keep your wires insulated (they should be already) and make sure water won't drip down into the outlet.

Salt water has more electrolytes (salts) so is much more conductive and stray voltage is much more a problem.

However, FW can transmit electricity, if you have bare wires in the water. <Eg when your heater breaks.> You can get a bit of a shock when that happens!

This, however, is no longer stray voltage ... it is full volts into your tank. You protect yourself (& your fishies) from that with a Ground Fault interrupter. Personally, I plug in everything from my fish tank into a GFI. It will trip if any water drips onto an outlet or if any wires are worn & an unsafe current is in the tank. You do, however, have to rewire your outlet to a GFI (only cost $10 or so if you are into DIY wiring) ... or you can spend around $40-50 for a GFI extension cord/power bar. <Cheap insurance in either case.>

Ok I'm a teen so i don't know anything about rewiring electricity into one of those gyo things and my parents don't want me attempting. They don't know anything about it either. And were not going to hire an elcetrician to do it so rewiring is out. So put into simple terms a gyo automatically turns off if water touches it or one of the plugs is damaged correct or am i wrong? And also what your saying is I don't at all need a ground probe I need a gyo thing? Thanks for your help!
Salt water has more electrolytes (salts) so is much more conductive and stray voltage is much more a problem.

However, FW can transmit electricity, if you have bare wires in the water. <Eg when your heater breaks.> You can get a bit of a shock when that happens!

This, however, is no longer stray voltage ... it is full volts into your tank. You protect yourself (& your fishies) from that with a Ground Fault interrupter. Personally, I plug in everything from my fish tank into a GFI. It will trip if any water drips onto an outlet or if any wires are worn & an unsafe current is in the tank. You do, however, have to rewire your outlet to a GFI (only cost $10 or so if you are into DIY wiring) ... or you can spend around $40-50 for a GFI extension cord/power bar. <Cheap insurance in either case.>

It's not that had to change a plug. I think my first time was when I was maybe 16. Just make sure to shut off the circuit breaker for the area you were working in (I was scared, so I shut off the entire floor).

A gcfi is what is in all bathrooms (I think it's required now), so if let's say you dropped your hair dryer in the bath, the surge in electricity would cause the plug to turn off. I don't have gcfi's and I've never had any problems, but it would be a nice thing to have.

I plan to put my tank in my bathroom or bedroom probably my bedroom. But neither one have the special plugs. But I asked my dad If me or him could do it or if we could hire someone he said no were not going to drew around with our electrify it fine how it is. So anything requiring taking apart stuff is out! So do I need a ground probe or gcfi whatever you guys called them or neither.
It's not that had to change a plug. I think my first time was when I was maybe 16. Just make sure to shut off the circuit breaker for the area you were working in (I was scared, so I shut off the entire floor).

A gcfi is what is in all bathrooms (I think it's required now), so if let's say you dropped your hair dryer in the bath, the surge in electricity would cause the plug to turn off. I don't have gcfi's and I've never had any problems, but it would be a nice thing to have.

You should be fine. On just about any aquarium electronic you have should show you a diagram of the drip loop or whatever you call it. Basically, have the plug drop below the outlet and come back up to it, so the water will drip off before getting to the outlet.

Gcfi are those two buttons in between the two plugs that are probably in your bathroom. One should say reset, and I forget the other one.

HowStuffWorks "How does a GFCI outlet work?"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom