Striped Bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TWLC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
I was wondering how big a tank I might need to keep a Striped Bass, or maybe you know them as rockfish. The one I'm going to buy isn't all that big however I know they can reach up to 50 inches so I would just like to know how many gallons a tank I would need.
Thank you

From a site I looked at: "Bass and other game fish can grow quite large, and may need hundreds of gallons. These are not guppies; keep in mind the adult size of the fish you plan on getting. They may need specialized care and food."
Though I'm not sure about the exact gallonage, I'd advise to get the biggest tank you can. Better yet, get a huge stock tank or an above-ground swimming pool. And the most ideal scenario, if possible, would be to put the fish in a large pond (where it would have the most room and feel the most at home).
These fish get large, but they're also used to having lots of room to swim around. I'm not sure if they're quite suited for home aquaria. The only time I've seen large bass or game fish in captivity would be at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops, and their tanks are GIGANTIC.
Perhaps looking into another fish that's smaller would be a better idea? Maybe even one that has the look you're going for. Zebra danios stay small and have those lovely stripes.
Best of luck with this. Pretty soon the pros here will come in and give you advice; all of them have years of experience and really know their stuff. :)

I wouldn't consider a stripped bass as a tank fish its more a fish to be left in its own habitat

I know that in Ohio it is illegal to transfer a game fish from one body of water to another. I guess the question would then become, is an aquarium a "body of water" in the legal sense?

Aside from that, striped bass are cold water fish (I believe) and would probably require a few thousand gallons. And even then, I doubt it would survive. They are generally only found in very large bodies of water. You rarely if ever hear of one being caught in a pond or small lake.

IMO, best to leave them in the wild. Doesn't mean one can't dream though.

If you want a native style tank I would stick with maybe some sunfish not as cool as striped bass but would still look cool

Back
Top Bottom