submersible pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khoifish89

Aquarium Advice Freak
As many might know that I overstock my above the ground pond. So I upgraded my pump and filter. As of right now there are no koi only common goldfish. I know for a fact that the water pressure from the outflow can and might have kill some of the goldfish. The outflow aggregates the water very strong, which mean a lot of oxygen is being carried down to water. My question is: does a strong outflow cause swimmer bladder to the goldfish?

As many might know that I overstock my above the ground pond. So I upgraded my pump and filter. As of right now there are no koi only common goldfish. I know for a fact that the water pressure from the outflow can and might have kill some of the goldfish. The outflow aggregates the water very strong, which mean a lot of oxygen is being carried down to water. My question is: does a strong outflow cause swimmer bladder to the goldfish?

I don't know that the outflow itself causes SBD in goldfish. I do know fancies are more to SBD. One of my ryukins was particularly prone to it when he was inside the house in a tank. He would eat bubbles.

If the current is so strong that the fish are being banged around the pond, then adjust your pump or place something at the outflow that baffles it or gives it some resistance before it enters the pond. Build up some rocks close to the outflow so the water hits them first. You'll still have enough surface agitation to oxygenate the water.

The situation you are talking about is another reason I like the bog filter on my pond. My pump is strong enough to batter some fish. But it pushes uphill to the bog filter, and circulates through gravel and plant roots. The water returned to the pond comes from a 1.5" outflow from the bog filter. I don't hear any rushing or crashing water in my pond. Neither do the fish.

Having adequate filtration and oxygenation doesn't mean having whitewater in a pond. Look at photos of waterfalls in other ponds.

Here's a YouTube video of a very small pond with a waterfall.

If I were going to build a waterfall for my pond, I'd elevate another container that had its own pump down in the pond to push the water.

You're going to have to take your original build and modify it to have a goldfish pond that works for you and the fish.

I don't know that the outflow itself causes SBD in goldfish. I do know fancies are more to SBD. One of my ryukins was particularly prone to it when he was inside the house in a tank. He would eat bubbles.

If the current is so strong that the fish are being banged around the pond, then adjust your pump or place something at the outflow that baffles it or gives it some resistance before it enters the pond. Build up some rocks close to the outflow so the water hits them first. You'll still have enough surface agitation to oxygenate the water.

The situation you are talking about is another reason I like the bog filter on my pond. My pump is strong enough to batter some fish. But it pushes uphill to the bog filter, and circulates through gravel and plant roots. The water returned to the pond comes from a 1.5" outflow from the bog filter. I don't hear any rushing or crashing water in my pond. Neither do the fish.

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/sharpchick/media/Aquaria/Pond/outflowfromfiltertopond.jpg.html

Having adequate filtration and oxygenation doesn't mean having whitewater in a pond. Look at photos of waterfalls in other ponds.

Here's a YouTube video of a very small pond with a waterfall.

If I were going to build a waterfall for my pond, I'd elevate another container that had its own pump down in the pond to push the water.

You're going to have to take your original build and modify it to have a goldfish pond that works for you and the fish.

In my previous post where I ask can i build something like an aquaponic setup. I did not know how to explain it until you posted what i was trying to explain. Where the "cleaned" water that just exited the filter but prior to returning back to the pond gets filtered again by plants. Besides get a box, thinking of get a rubbermaid 30 gallon plastic bin, what do I need because my new pump is rated at 4600 gph. How big of a opening do I need because of high rated gph?

Okay, why are you pumping at 4,600 gph for an approximate 450 gallon pond? A pond is not an aquarium. And a pump is not a filter. Your other pump was fine for this size pond. It was your filtration that was lacking when you had the thing packed to the gills with koi.

S L O W D O W N.

Stop.

Quit messing around and start studying.

Go read REAL posts by full-time ponders. Start here.

Seriously, man - you are all over the place. I am not trying to be mean, but geez, every time I read one of your threads, you've gone out and bought some other new gadget, and THEN posted a thread wanting to know how to use it.

Did you read anything at all about keeping a pond before you started?

I said "keeping," not building.

I know over did it. That is why I do run the run the pump and filter 24/7. I run it for about 5 minutes every hour. I also bought submerged pond plants as posted in the post and running an air pump when I am not running the pump and filter for the lost oxygen produced by the outflow of the filter.

Now why don't I believe you are getting up for five minutes every hour at night?

I'd put you on ignore, but I feel so dadgummed sorry for your fish.

Go to that forum, and study before you do another thing. Get the free membership, post a "save my pond" thread, with current pics, and ask for advice.

Ponder all advice given. Ask clarifying questions. Don't argue. You are no pond expert, and they are.

Then, plan a rational course of action.

Or, in the alternative, you can keep on coming up with totally irrational plans and purchases, kill all the remaining fish, and be humbled enough to either give up on a pond, or give up doing it your way.

Back
Top Bottom