Such thing as to much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riley

Aquarium Advice Freak
So far I have done two water changes in two days.. I want to do a third today is there such a thing as to many water changes in such a short time?

3 day weekend from work so I have alot of time and also switching from purple instant ocean to orange bucket

3 day weekend from work so I have alot of time and also switching from purple instant ocean to orange bucket

Well doing numerous water changes everyday isn't going to do much except throw ur numbers out of whack. If you're switching salts, that's fine but it doesn't mean you have to switch out all the water that's in the tank already. Just stick to your normal water change a week and you should be okay

I disagree. Done correctly, a water change can never be harmful and in no way would it throw anything out of whack. If you want to waste the salt, go ahead and do the water change.

I disagree. Done correctly, a water change can never be harmful and in no way would it throw anything out of whack. If you want to waste the salt, go ahead and do the water change.

Well with my tank, I dose 2 part everyday so doing numerous water changes wouldn't do me any good. I mean don't get me wrong, its not in any way a bad thing. I just think its a little much. Of course this is me thinking of doing that to my tank.

Well, if you were doing numerous water changes every day, you wouldn't need the 2 part. The 2 part is probably a lot cheaper though. I do not think if you used a reef grade salt mix and did water changes with it would it lower your alk or calcium level.

Well, if you were doing numerous water changes every day, you wouldn't need the 2 part. The 2 part is probably a lot cheaper though. I do not think if you used a reef grade salt mix and did water changes with it would it lower your alk or calcium level.

Oh I agree. If I did pwc everyday I would be okay. But let's face it, who really has time to do a water change everyday, can get very expensive for sure Lol.

Water changes remove waste and replenish trace elements. You can never do too many- IF you can afford the time and money.

Water changes remove waste and replenish trace elements. You can never do too many- IF you can afford the time and money.

Exactly. So yeah maybe I did give the wrong advice, just didn't exactly word it right Lol sorry OP!

The only thing you remove that is beneficial when too many pwc in a day is the bacteria. Although it can still be replenished after a while. You are also taking the risk of stressing your fish that may lead to parasites.

Money isn't a issue but I am far from a baller.. I was not aware of that being able to stress my fish.. My specific gravity is maybe half a point away from being the same as my display specific gravity and I take in consideration the water cooling off before it goes into my tank so my to station is kept 3 degrees warmer than my tank since it will cool off during me emptying the old water.. I actually sucked a clown up into my siphon hose yesterday so I would prefer not to stress them out

There is very little bacteria in the water column. It's all on surfaces. You won't hurt the bacteria colony by doing water changes.

Your protein skimmer will clean the water, but it's not going to remove bacteria. The bacteria Jeff is referring to is the kind you want in your tank.

If you have good water circulation your good bacteria will be all over the place. If it is believed to be floating then your overflow will definitely suck it and spread them out. This is another reason why you use a portion of your salt water when upgrading to a bigger tank.

I have never done that. I've just carried over the rock and that was enough. I would like to see some data on that if you can find it. I assumed bacteria spread, like algae would. I have heard of people doing 100% water changes with no ill effects.

I've always heard that almost all of your BB is in the sand and live rock. Sure there is some in the water, but not much.

I'm going from a 75g to a 240g and plan to bring along the rock and sand (rinsed) and go 100% new water, as bringing the old water over brings nitrates too.

I've always heard that almost all of your BB is in the sand and live rock. Sure there is some in the water, but not much.

I'm going from a 75g to a 240g and plan to bring along the rock and sand (rinsed) and go 100% new water, as bringing the old water over brings nitrates too.

If you do that make sure that the pH and everything else is almost the same to reduce shock

Back
Top Bottom