Suggest me some crypts!(or other low light plants)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billbug68

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've had this 5g fluval chi for a little while now and I'm getting extremely bored with it... The only thing I've put in that has grown(very slowly) is this unknown crypt, I think it's c.parva. I'd love to hear some suggestions for some other crypts or low light plants and maybe some re-scape suggestions as well. I've tried to move things around but I'm just not satisfied... I even added some ludwigia from my 10 but it's not doing well. Please give me some ideas! Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• image-3336999569.jpg
    image-3336999569.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 186
  • image-3411847423.jpg
    image-3411847423.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 156
  • image-229337366.jpg
    image-229337366.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 366
Put some lace java fern (microsorum pteropus v. Windelov) on that wood and a rock or small piece of wood with anubias nana tied to it in that front left corner.
That's my idea.
I would also maybe try a clump of moss at the base of the wood..? That may look nice.
What is that in the back left?

Billbug68 said:
So I've had this 5g fluval chi for a little while now and I'm getting extremely bored with it... The only thing I've put in that has grown(very slowly) is this unknown crypt, I think it's c.parva. I'd love to hear some suggestions for some other crypts or low light plants and maybe some re-scape suggestions as well. I've tried to move things around but I'm just not satisfied... I even added some ludwigia from my 10 but it's not doing well. Please give me some ideas! Thanks in advance! :)

Hey! Nice looking tank!

If you want some color aside from green, you can look for a Bronze or Red Wendtii Crypt. Do a search for Severum Mama on this website. I believe she posted her retail about 3 weeks ago with some great Crypts and they are super reliable retailers.

If you want some more low light plants, I would suggested a Java Fern (I prefer the Lace kind with the frilly ends) to put on your driftwood. Either that or an Anubias Nana. If you could get 1 or 2 of those Crypts with 1 of the afore mentioned plants I think you would be good!

Only re-scraping thing I would say would be maybe move the driftwood out of the center. Nothing in nature is centered. Maybe moved it a little to the right by the Ludwigia. This will also allow you to have kind of a Crypt "field" to the other side of it.

paytertot said:
Put some lace java fern (microsorum pteropus v. Windelov) on that wood and a rock or small piece of wood with anubias nana tied to it in that front left corner.
That's my idea.
I would also maybe try a clump of moss at the base of the wood..? That may look nice.
What is that in the back left?

Hilarious, same views!

paytertot said:
Put some lace java fern (microsorum pteropus v. Windelov) on that wood and a rock or small piece of wood with anubias nana tied to it in that front right corner.
That's my idea.

I actually have some anubias nana in my 10, it's almost ready to cut in half, then I could put that in here. I honestly don't care for java ferns, never had the lace type but my other ones started growing so many daughter plants it looked terrible! I also have a cup of java moss but I'm not sure if I wanna put it in as of yet...

What do you think about a different piece of driftwood? I was thinking maybe something that was more like the branch type with a bunch of small branches coming out? Then I could plant all around it and fill in around the branches? Am I making sense? Lol

I've tried to move the driftwood off centered but it just looked weird... I love this piece and hate it at the same time...

Oh and the plant on the left is an octopus plant. At least that's how it was labeled.

Edit: I hate it centered, but these little cube tanks are hard to scape! It's driving me nuts! I might venture out for a new piece of wood tomorrow... Maybe I'll find a good fallen branch on the side of the road... Haha

Yea that makes sense. I think that piece is great though, especially with something on it. Google the lace fern, it doesn't do that like regular java fern does.
And I wasn't thinking java moss, more like willow moss or Christmas moss.

paytertot said:
Yea that makes sense. I think that piece is great though, especially with something on it. Google the lace fern, it doesn't do that like regular java fern does.
And I wasn't thinking java moss, more like willow moss or Christmas moss.

Good to know... I'll try to refresh myself on what it looks like real quick. My LFS only has java moss, I bought the cup of it for this tank but couldn't bring myself to put it in... Lol just sayin I already have the stuff...

Ok I was just saying cuz the mosses I listed look a little different and can usually be ordered, or there's almost always someone on here who can sell you some. Same goes with the lace java fern.

I've been reading up on water sprite, debating adding some to my 20 gallon. Everyone I've spoken to says the stuff grows ridiculously well. A lot feel that moderate lighting is actually too much because the trimming is a pain. I think it has a very nice look to it too.

Like the look of the tank so far. Maybe move the wood forward some and do some heavier planting along the back?

tamtam said:
I've been reading up on water sprite, debating adding some to my 20 gallon. Everyone I've spoken to says the stuff grows ridiculously well. A lot feel that moderate lighting is actually too much because the trimming is a pain. I think it has a very nice look to it too.

Like the look of the tank so far. Maybe move the wood forward some and do some heavier planting along the back?

Thanks :) I heard the same about water wisteria and the stems kept rotting on me, never could get it to grow properly. New growth was good but existing just went to crap... I eventually gave up on it. I'll look into it though. I'm considering some c. wendtii for maybe behind the dw.

Sorry! Went away from the computer for awhile. I think you may hate the driftwood being off centered at the moment because it has nothing on the other side of the tank to balance it out. Although. It really boils down to what you want. Lace Java Fern has great looking leaves that I thin you may enjoy.

The Java Moss idea is a great one. I use Java Moss as a "carpet" for my 5.5g Shrimp tank. I think it looks pretty good! I'll get some pictures up later if you want.

Thanks :) I heard the same about water wisteria and the stems kept rotting on me, never could get it to grow properly. New growth was good but existing just went to crap... I eventually gave up on it. I'll look into it though. I'm considering some c. wendtii for maybe behind the dw.

hmmm. interesting. I've yet to do any live plants so I'm hoping it will be a good starting point for me and maybe I'll try some java moss. I have some platy that I'm expecting fry from and would like to offer them a little more than what is currently in my tank.

Predfan27 said:
Sorry! Went away from the computer for awhile. I think you may hate the driftwood being off centered at the moment because it has nothing on the other side of the tank to balance it out. Although. It really boils down to what you want. Lace Java Fern has great looking leaves that I thin you may enjoy.

The Java Moss idea is a great one. I use Java Moss as a "carpet" for my 5.5g Shrimp tank. I think it looks pretty good! I'll get some pictures up later if you want.

I'd love to see some pics! :)

Would I be crazy if I said I've been thinking about dirting this tank once I decide on a final scape...? I've been wanting to try it out and this tank seems like a perfect one to test it on. Small easy to tear down. Pull everything out, dump out sand, add soil, replace sand, plant, refill, add my betta back, done! Lol

Billbug68 said:
Would I be crazy if I said I've been thinking about dirting this tank once I decide on a final scape...? I've been wanting to try it out and this tank seems like a perfect one to test it on. Small easy to tear down. Pull everything out, dump out sand, add soil, replace sand, plant, refill, add my betta back, done! Lol

You wanna try the Walstad method? It could work! The biggest tank I've ever done in that method was a 10 and it met with mixed results. As long as you don't have bottoms dwellers like Corydoras or Loaches it is generally good. I wouldn't try the Walstad method until you have the plants you want. If you try to add plants after, it has the tendency to release dirt into the water causing it to brown.

Also, here are my 5.5g pics!

View attachment 110568

View attachment 110569

View attachment 110570

Here's a list of crypts I keep. There are really tons of them and you just need to pick the ones you like:

C. nurii
C. nurii "mutated"
C. pondeterfolia
C. crispatula
C. wendtii "green gecko"
C. wendtii "red"
C. wendtii "tropica"
C. parva
C. cordata "KR01"

Most of them all have the same demands and are easy to keep.

Predfan27 said:
You wanna try the Walstad method? It could work! The biggest tank I've ever done in that method was a 10 and it met with mixed results. As long as you don't have bottoms dwellers like Corydoras or Loaches it is generally good. I wouldn't try the Walstad method until you have the plants you want. If you try to add plants after, it has the tendency to release dirt into the water causing it to brown.

Also, here are my 5.5g pics!

Yeah, I actually think I'm gonna go for it once I get all the plants bought and everything placed just how I like it. This tank was supposed to be low maintenance anyways so the walstad method might be perfect! Btw the only thing in the tank is my male betta Optimus.

Back
Top Bottom