Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just checking here - did you end up getting a HOB filter (fluval c3) and not a canister?

Well, for now at least just the c3. I want to get a sunsun canister filter eventually, they are cheap enough

Ceramic rings? I can get some off eBay pretty cheap. Should 300 grams be good or should I get 500 grams? Or even more?

I could get what's at http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261142959566 and use the bio balls to fill in the rest if the ceramic media didn't fill it.also I could use the carbon just on case I do need it to remove meds or something

Yes, ceramic rings. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, the bb aren't too fussy and will grow on anything. To me the price looks good and it is always useful to have some stock on hand. I like to have enough for the next change just in case needed but the bio media should last quite a while unless it gunks/clogs up. I'm not a big fan of bio balls (just me), but totally agree you could mix them in. Until you get the second filter I'd be careful experimenting with media, if it gets disturbed too much and dies off, then a mini-cycle is risked (which I managed to do :( )

Yes, ceramic rings. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, the bb aren't too fussy and will grow on anything. To me the price looks good and it is always useful to have some stock on hand. I like to have enough for the next change just in case needed but the bio media should last quite a while unless it gunks/clogs up. I'm not a big fan of bio balls (just me), but totally agree you could mix them in. Until you get the second filter I'd be careful experimenting with media, if it gets disturbed too much and dies off, then a mini-cycle is risked (which I managed to do :( )

If I left the original media how would a mini cycle occur?

If I left the original media how would a mini cycle occur?

Good point, it should be fine.

I'm just a little wary as we are modifying the filter flow a tad. In my case both filters had to get pulled apart 2 or 3 times in 4 weeks, mainly from blocked flow (cotton wool in one case around impeller) and I think the bb just decamped.

Should i get the thing with that bio balls plus 500g ceramic rings out should I get 1500g of ceramic rings. It's only a dollar or so more than the one with bio balls

Yes!! Just got my Prime, Master test kit, thermometer, timer, filter cartriges, etc here today!!! SO excited!!!!

Results for tank water:
PH: 7.4 (high range PH test kit)
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrAte: 20-40ppm

Results from tap water:
DIdn't test PH
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
NitrAte: 0ppm

How should I proceed? I have added ammonia before i got the test kit looks like its gone now. I'll go and add some more until i get to 4ppm. its 10% concentration

Thanks for any help,
-1998golfer

Added 10 drops of ammonia about an hour ago.tested 0.25ppm. So that'd be 40 drops per ppm, and 160 drops for 4 ppm?

Should i get the thing with that bio balls plus 500g ceramic rings out should I get 1500g of ceramic rings. It's only a dollar or so more than the one with bio balls

Well, I would see if the original cartridge has a decent amount of carbon (not just powder coated on) and then get the ceramic rings. However if not I would get the package set of balls, rings and carbon. Just to have some carbon if needed.

Well, I would see if the original cartridge has a decent amount of carbon (not just powder coated on) and then get the ceramic rings. However if not I would get the package set of balls, rings and carbon. Just to have some carbon if needed.

Ok so I'll get the combo pack. The filter cartridge that was in the chemical basket was dirty and I'm sure use of the carbon was done. I threw it away.

Tested ammonia this afternoon, 0ppm. Looks like tank processed 0.25ppm overnight... sounds like at least something. I'll go add 160 drops and see what it reads.
EDIT: Also 0ppm nitrite, nitrAte probably close 20 the upper range of 20-40

48 hours after adding 4ppm+ (It was somewhere between 4 and 8ppm) it has somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0ppm ammonia.
Nitrite was 0ppm in the beginning, and now it's still 0ppm. Looking good for my cycle... I do believe the media could have had BB still on it, when i got there the filter was running with water, just no fish in the tank. But it did before.

48 hours after adding 4ppm+ (It was somewhere between 4 and 8ppm) it has somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0ppm ammonia.
Nitrite was 0ppm in the beginning, and now it's still 0ppm. Looking good for my cycle... I do believe the media could have had BB still on it, when i got there the filter was running with water, just no fish in the tank. But it did before.

Excellent news. Media with bb seems quickest. I've also tried the bb in a bottle with mixed success.

Excellent news. Media with bb seems quickest. I've also tried the bb in a bottle with mixed success.
Also just checked nitrAte... originally 20ppm, its now 160ppm. This is proof the cycle is going along great. No signs of nitrite, ever. so that bacteria that seems to take the longest is already present :D

Also, I've decided against tiger barbs. What do you recommend instead, that would look good against all black gravel, black caulking on the tank, and black stand...

EDIT: Anyone every had penguin tetras? They look cool and are only about 1.50 or so each at petco. get to 3". Here is my updated aqadvisor page: aquadvisor.com

Also just checked nitrAte... originally 20ppm, its now 160ppm. This is proof the cycle is going along great. No signs of nitrite, ever. so that bacteria that seems to take the longest is already present :D

Also, I've decided against tiger barbs. What do you recommend instead, that would look good against all black gravel, black caulking on the tank, and black stand...

EDIT: Anyone every had penguin tetras? They look cool and are only about 1.50 or so each at petco. get to 3". Here is my updated aqadvisor page: aquadvisor.com

How about bleedimg heart tetras?

Ammonia went down to 0.25ppm so i dosed back to 4ppm. Nitrite is 1ppm. For my stock I'm getting 1x BN Pleco, 5x Cory Catfish (albino or panda or whatever they have in my lfs :p), and 25x Orange flame tetras. What is a good plan for adding them when my cycle is complete? Maybe add the BN and Cory Catfish in one week, and 5-10 tetras per week after that until its fully stocked? Or should I get all the tetras at once, or the tetras before the pleco and corys?
Any help is appreciated,
-1998golfer

Hmmm... I read that corys need smooth substrate, mine isn't smooth. Should I consider a different fish? What other fish (bottom dweller) should I get instead?

Back
Top Bottom