Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well what do you suggest for for the stock above? With what you said I'd add the pleco and 10 tetras then 3 months later another 10 tetras? Can I add them all at once if I cycle it up to like 6 or 8ppm in 24hrs?

Not quite, in your case I would add the bulk in say two weeks but to say 75% of intended. So say 25% first weekend, 50% second weekend. Timing would depend on how first fish go. Then see how it looks in 3-6 mths. That's easier for me as I like schools of different fish. At 4ppm dosing you could add all at once.

My reason for a 25% start is really to see if the store is good. If I lose one that is ok, if I lose most then either the tank or the store has a problem.

My neon tetras I added last as my water isn't really suited for them naturally, the store actually gave me 5 more but all did ok. By then the tank had been going for 9 months.

This API test kit... Should i read it in a shadow or in the light? Its much easier to read in the shadow.. in the light its hard to see but i think its 8. dark. in the dark its lighter, somewhere between 2 and 4.... Its been this way every time ive put in ammonia from the start. Could i be putting in 8ppm and its turning to 1ppm in 24hrs?

This API test kit... Should i read it in a shadow or in the light? Its much easier to read in the shadow.. in the light its hard to see but i think its 8. dark. in the dark its lighter, somewhere between 2 and 4.... Its been this way every time ive put in ammonia from the start. Could i be putting in 8ppm and its turning to 1ppm in 24hrs?

I struggle with it. I have the colour chart upside down and find that helps. No idea why, I saw it in another post and it works for me. Sometimes I get the family to check.

I guess it is possible 8ppm could be converted. I've had a mini-cycle where it was deep into the green (maybe 4 to 6ppm worse point from memory) and eventually the bacteria caught back up. Did you work out the dosage from an online calculator though? What sort of readings are you getting now and how many weeks in?

I struggle with it. I have the colour chart upside down and find that helps. No idea why, I saw it in another post and it works for me. Sometimes I get the family to check.

I guess it is possible 8ppm could be converted. I've had a mini-cycle where it was deep into the green (maybe 4 to 6ppm worse point from memory) and eventually the bacteria caught back up. Did you work out the dosage from an online calculator though? What sort of readings are you getting now and how many weeks in?
They problem is that the online calculators are in millimeters but I'm doing it in drops

You can use the fact that 20 drops make one ml.
Doesn't that vary between droppers??
EDIT: Well, if it is 20 drops/ml then I'm dosing too much... 100 drops = 5ml, the calculator says I need ~4ml. according to http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm
EDIT 2: That above is for 4ppm not 5ppm like the default on the calculator says. Ammonia 0.5-1ppm this morning and still no nitrites. Im wondering if i should do a huge WC since my nitrAtes have been off the scale for a week or so, and to add nutrients / buffers into the water for the bb to grow, and for a stable PH. Because PH is very low compared to tap. Tap is 7.4-7.6 and PH just now is reading 6.0. PRobably less
EDIT 3: I just read that too low PH causes bacteria to die, doing WC asap!!!!

After my 10gal waterchange (40ish%) my PH is around 6.8... still not the 7.4 of tap, but not as deadly to bacteria as 6.0. should I do more WCs to get it up? I know at the end of this ill have to do tons of WCs to get the nitrAtes down... Also, no nitrites and 0.50ppm ammonia. If I need to do more water changes I want to do them now, before I dose more ammonia (80 drops :))

Gave the water a chance to circulate... PH is at 6.4!!! Do I need to do another water change????

I did another 10g waterchange. PH between 6.6 and 6.8... Probably tested too soon, I'll retest soon. What should i get my PH to before leaving it alone?

After letting it circulate, it's PH is 6.6, please help I need advice! Doing water changes is fine for me, I'm 15 and don't mind lifting the buckets. I've already changed 20gals of water today, dragging to the bathtub and then back to the tank and pouring. Thats 8 buckets. I don't really mind. So please just let me know whats the best to do to hopefully save my cycle

If you haven't made your final stocking decision, I have an idea.
not sure if you were interested with loaches at al (it seemed like you might have been) but kuhlis are very interesting, and have a fairly low bioload. Also, you might want to try something like 2 bolivian rams (easier than Germans from what I've heard) for a little more variety and take out a few penguin tetras. Here is the idea in aqadvisor: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

For right now go see if you have any baking soda in the kitchen. If you do get it and a 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon. Also get a glass. Go to the tank and get some water in the glass, then add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in it and stir very well. Slowly add this baking soda water to your tank by the filter outflow. It will mix through the tank. Wait 1 hour and retest Ph. If it's not high enough repeat this until you reach about 7.2.

It's very common for ph to drop drastically during a cycle. Once you get it up keep your eye on the ph daily. If it starts to take a big drop again we will have to talk about adding some crushed coral to your tank. But for now use the quick fix. Sorry I did not read all the thread so tell me this is a fishless cycle?

For right now go see if you have any baking soda in the kitchen. If you do get it and a 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon. Also get a glass. Go to the tank and get some water in the glass, then add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in it and stir very well. Slowly add this baking soda water to your tank by the filter outflow. It will mix through the tank. Wait 1 hour and retest Ph. If it's not high enough repeat this until you reach about 7.2.

It's very common for ph to drop drastically during a cycle. Once you get it up keep your eye on the ph daily. If it starts to take a big drop again we will have to talk about adding some crushed coral to your tank. But for now use the quick fix. Sorry I did not read all the thread so tell me this is a fishless cycle?

Yes fishless cycle. Thanks for the advice I'll go do that in a few minutes. Is arm & hammer pure baking soda good?

If you haven't made your final stocking decision, I have an idea.
not sure if you were interested with loaches at al (it seemed like you might have been) but kuhlis are very interesting, and have a fairly low bioload. Also, you might want to try something like 2 bolivian rams (easier than Germans from what I've heard) for a little more variety and take out a few penguin tetras. Here is the idea in aqadvisor: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
Hmm. I like that idea. the bolivian rams arent carried by petco or petsmart so I'd have to order online. petco carries the penguins for 1.25 each, so that's good. Neither lfs carries the loaches either :(

my petco and petsmart don't carry the bolivians either that i know of, but one does have kuhlis. But about 20 min from my house is a fs that carries tons of different fish (arowanas, other giants, rays, wide varieties of flowerhorns, and plenty of other exotics), so i'd assume they have them if I were to get them (I've never actually been to the store since im not old enough to drive, but will go once i start my 55g) http://www.tropiquatics.com/
just look at the new arrivals, there are some I have nvr heard of

my petco and petsmart don't carry the bolivians either that i know of, but one does have kuhlis. But about 20 min from my house is a fs that carries tons of different fish (arowanas, other giants, rays, wide varieties of flowerhorns, and plenty of other exotics), so i'd assume they have them if I were to get them (I've never actually been to the store, but will once i start my 55g)

Only fish stores around here are a petco and a petsmart, right across the street from eachother, and within a few miles of my house.

I went to petsmart. I saw the Long fin red minor tetra and love it. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom