sump layout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sully08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just getting started with changing over my 220g to salt. I have an old 72g (48x18x20) that I would like to turn into my sump. Any ideas for a good layout? I have seen sumps with the return pump and skimmer both in the last compartment and some sumps with the skimmer in the first compartment, both with a refugium in the middle. Any good sump websites out there?

If you have your pro skim in the first compartment then the bubble trap works better

I mostly just matched you tube videos to figure out how to build mine. Still workin on it actually

You have a lot of choices. You can do the P/S in the sump or externally, but then you'd have to drill the tank. If you do it inside the sump, it should be the first compartment. Then in the second compartment you do a refugium and the last compartment is your return pump. Is this going under the tank or in another area?

I saw one on YouTube that had like 6 compartments - 2 different refugiums.

You have a lot of choices. You can do the P/S in the sump or externally, but then you'd have to drill the tank. If you do it inside the sump, it should be the first compartment. Then in the second compartment you do a refugium and the last compartment is your return pump. Is this going under the tank or in another area?

I saw one on YouTube that had like 6 compartments - 2 different refugiums.
My tank is built in the wall so I service it from the back in a storage room. My sump will be off to the side because I have lots of room, not under my display tank. I would prefer it this way because this makes sump maint. very easy.:p

Is your sump already divided with baffles?

You do not need to have it like that... look at my sump in my profile pics, will give you a good idea

i have skimmer, LR then return pump with macro algae under my skimmer . I have the overflow coming down right on the LR with a sock filter on it so no micro bubbles come into my DT. Works great this way IMO

If you put the skimmer after the refugium, it will suck up all of the beneficial pods that live in the macro algae. you should put the skimmer and as much filtration as you can in the first compartment.

There's a couple of sump drawings in my profile fro tips,Keep your skimmer in the first section,live rock or macro in the second,return pump in the last.skimmer section only needs to be as large to fit the skimmer,macro section keep as large as poss with lightor no light if using LR,return pump section quite large for evaporation levels

David

Back
Top Bottom