Sump or canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aalbright27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I wanted to upgrade my 29 gallon planted tank a little bit. I was thinking about moving to a sump or a canister. What would you recommend? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A sump wouldn't really be necessary. A good canister filter will do you a lot of good. Plus, if you have co2 injection, a sump removes co2 from the water with all the agitation. What's your budget? I have an inexpensive canister on my 27g cube and I LOVE it. It's a sunsun hw304A, just look up sunsun canister filters on ebay. The ones with a B ending have a built in 9w UV light, but you can turn it off (I wouldn't recommend using it).

Hope that helps and feel free to ask any more questions,
-1998golfer

Thanks for the help! Why would you recomend turning off the uv light?

Those are decent. Get one rated for quite a bit larger than your tank. My sunsun filter is made for a 110g tank and I am running it on a 40g tank. It's just about right where I want it for flow.

There's no real reason to use the UV sterilizer continuously.

Thanks for the help! Why would you recomend turning off the uv light?

Well, first it can't go much good since there's so much flow. Second, the plastic is not uv resistant so it will break down over time if you use the uv.

Back
Top Bottom