Sump or canister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The plumbing is coming into the side of the sump and connects to two long pieces where the water comes out into the sump. Here is a picture.

Rework the internal pipe so that the pipe is one to two inches below the water level in the sump. That will stop the crashing. You will have to deal with bubbles but you could add a reverse Durso.

One of Tom Barr's tanks use a sump. You can look for information on it if you want, or I can post a link to it later.

I love my sump, it hides the heater, CO2 gear and allows a space for me to grow out some plants.

I have a 60 gallon sump, my tank is designed with a coast to coast (c2c)overflow and has three drain pipes (google beananimal setup). There is a siphon for the main line so no noise, no gasing off, I keep the three sump compartments about the same as far as water level (with room for the water that comes down before my air break kicks in when the pump goes off) so that also decreases gasing off. I feed the CO2 into a reactor that I have bio balls and porcelai.

If I had to do it again, I would do the same setup but with teeth on my c2c so little fish wouldn't end up in the overflow or sump as often. Or I would just make the tank bigger and run canisters, lol!

I love my sump, it hides the heater, CO2 gear and allows a space for me to grow out some plants.

I have a 60 gallon sump, my tank is designed with a coast to coast (c2c)overflow and has three drain pipes (google beananimal setup). There is a siphon for the main line so no noise, no gasing off, I keep the three sump compartments about the same as far as water level (with room for the water that comes down before my air break kicks in when the pump goes off) so that also decreases gasing off. I feed the CO2 into a reactor that I have bio balls and porcelai.

If I had to do it again, I would do the same setup but with teeth on my c2c so little fish wouldn't end up in the overflow or sump as often. Or I would just make the tank bigger and run canisters, lol!

Love the sump setup. Looks like a lot of work but not hard. I think I might consider that for my tank. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom