Sump return question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c-bass

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a mag 9.5 which has a 3/4'' output and I am wondering if I should feed it into 1" PVC pipes for the return instead of the 3/4. Any thoughts? I'll have a ball valve to control flow.

3/4 should be fine, you wouldnt be pumping any more water out of it with a bigger pvc. i have a mag 18 in my sump which also has 3/4" output and i use 3/4" pvc and everything works fine. hth

There is no real advantage to a larger outlet other than maybe the water has less force when it leaves the return. Your going to be flowing the same amount of water thru the plumbing so the larger diamater would have less force (the GPH would be the same) than if it was comming out of a smaller diamater return.

If you wanted to upsize the return just get a 3/4 - 1" adaptor at the hardware store. They have many to fit just about any plumbing combo. Threaded female - threaded male, threaded male - threaded female, threaded female - threaded female, etc.

I also have the mag drive 9.5 and I plumb it with 3/4" to keep the flow consistant. I have a ball valve installed to control the flow.

Back
Top Bottom