Sump size question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I am currently using a wet/dry filter with bioballs. It is separated into 2 areas-bio ball and return pump. I currently have 2 mag pumps in the pump area and they barely fit. We have 45 lbs of fiji rock, 4 lbs of base rock and I now have 30lbs of FL aquacultured rock. I think 75lbs of rock with a 75 gal tank would be the minimum requirements for natural filtration, right?

We have been looking at taking the wet/dry out and using a rubbermaid container or similar product. Unfortunately, with the 2x4 bracing in the stand, it does not fit most standard containers. I bought a 66 QT that I think might fit but I am not sure yet. Would a 55 QT container be big enough?

I would like to have Berlin skimmer in the sump as well so I need something somewhat wide. Maybe a 20 gal glass tank would work? Would using 2 containers connected by a PVC pipe work? Anyone have any ideas?

Sorry for the rambling but I would like to do this in a way that I know will work :)

I think 75lbs of rock with a 75 gal tank would be the minimum requirements for natural filtration, right?

Correct. That would be the minimum. It is normally recommended by most to have over 1lb of LR per gallon of water. But yours will works as well.

Would a 55 QT container be big enough?

QT as in quart? That would make it a little over 13 gallons if you are talking quarts here. Yeah, that will work. Nice thing about sumps is that you can have any size you want, within reason. I think there is a standard rule to how big a sump one should get but anything to add water volume can only help you. I have a 15 gallon sump hooked to my 40 gallon tank. Works fine.

Maybe a 20 gal glass tank would work? Would using 2 containers connected by a PVC pipe work? Anyone have any ideas?

Not sure on this one. I guess it would work as long as the pipe between the two tanks was large enough to keep the volume of water equal between the two tanks. You would have to drill both tanks and then install a bulkhead. But I guess it could be done. May want to wait and see what others say about this, though.

QT as in quart? That would make it a little over 13 gallons if you are talking quarts here. Yeah, that will work. Nice thing about sumps is that you can have any size you want, within reason. I think there is a standard rule to how big a sump one should get but anything to add water volume can only help you. I have a 15 gallon sump hooked to my 40 gallon tank. Works fine.

Yes, I was talking quarts. I figured the bigger the better for the sump. With a big sump, can't you just siphon the water from the sump for water changes. This would keep stirring up the tank and inhabitants to a minimum.

Not sure on this one. I guess it would work as long as the pipe between the two tanks was large enough to keep the volume of water equal between the two tanks. You would have to drill both tanks and then install a bulkhead. But I guess it could be done. May want to wait and see what others say about this, though

For the 20 gal glass, I would use just that only. If I did the 2 smaller containers, I figured I could use plastic or similar. I was unsure about the water level issue as well.

I have seen pics of the acrylic sumps with different filtering sections and that looks nice but I would like a cheaper alternative. Not sure I would want to try and make one either.

With a big sump, can't you just siphon the water from the sump for water changes. This would keep stirring up the tank and inhabitants to a minimum.

This is exactly what I do. I have a small mag drive pond pump. I think it is rated for around 125 GPH. Anyway, I hook up a hose to it and throw it in the sump when I do the change. It pumps the old water into an empty container. I then take the pump out of the sump, put it into another container of freshly mixed SW, and then pump that into the sump. Whole procedure takes about 10 minutes.

I have seen pics of the acrylic sumps with different filtering sections and that looks nice but I would like a cheaper alternative. Not sure I would want to try and make one either.

Yeah, it would have been a waste of money for me since I was running a Berlin style filtration anyway. I would have had no use for the wet/drys that come with a lot of those "ready made" sumps.

Back
Top Bottom