Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrfixit61

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is there any bennifit to adding a sump to a freshwater tank? right now I'm running a penguin bio wheel filter with carbon in one compartment and amonia rid in the other. I haven't been having any problems. but a friend told me I should have one if I have allot of fish. I have four african chiclids. is this to much for a 55 gal?

This is fine for a 55. African Cichlids usually do better if slightly crowded...as long as you don't overload the tank. I would say you have a fairly light bioload in this tank.
About the sump...no, you don't NEED one. Here are the pros and cons as I see it.
Pros: Increased water capacity. Equipment is hidden. Eg: filtration, heater, ect...
All you have in the tank is the hoses and overflow. Easier to dose additives and do water changes. You have a large filtration capacity and it's easier to service the filters.
Cons: Unless your tank is drilled, you'll have to have an external overflow to get the water out of the tank and into the sump. There is a potential for a spill with one of these. Expense. A properly set up sump, although it doesn't have to be extravagant, will cost you. You'll need the overflow, a return pump, and a suitable container to use as a sump.

Back
Top Bottom