Sunset platy govig birth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alec18

Aquarium Advice Activist
I heard Rucuss in my tank and went and looked what was going on and saw my tiger barb go after and unfourtantly eat a fry. So I think it's my platy giving birth because she's huge. Weirdly though there is not a male platy in there so hopefully some cross breeding or something. I put her in a breeder cage thing and hopefully she'll give birth to more and theyll survive. Any advice

That's basically the best thing you can do at this point.. Especially with tiger barbs I hear. Good luck!

How did everything go ? Do you have another tank to put the fry in ? I'm curious lol it intrigues me that you actually heard them go crazy over the fry!! Hope everything worked out well :)

Platys and other livebearers can store sperm from previous mates and continue to use it to produce fry. No male needs to be present in your tank, she was probably fertilized at the petstore. Tiger barbs and platys cant crossbreed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Platys and other livebearers can store sperm from previous mates and continue to use it to produce fry. No male needs to be present in your tank, she was probably fertilized at the petstore. Tiger barbs and platys cant crossbreed.

Yup. Tiger barbs don't have a gonopodium which they would need in order to inject the sperm into the female. I've heard of many stories like this one where people bring home a female livebearer fish from the store and they give birth to fry even without a male in the tank. Female livebearers can hold sperm for a few months before having the eggs fertilized.

How did everything go ? Do you have another tank to put the fry in ? I'm curious lol it intrigues me that you actually heard them go crazy over the fry!! Hope everything worked out well :)

Well I took her out of the breed thing cuz I feel bad having her in there. I turned the lights off so hopefully the barb or others didn't eat them. I checked when I woke up and saw one fry swimming so I grabbed him and but him in a breeder box in my other ten gallon. I don't have the filter for a fry tank just yet. But anyway I was looking and there was a floating plastic plant decor and I found six fry hiding in there. So I put them in the breeder box and now I'm hatching brine for them to eat. So went better than expected. The sort of grown up fry I had I let out because they ate one of the smaller ones. But they are decent size now. I'll keep an update

I know it wasn't the barb and platy. I have other live bearer types in the tank

Found three more

I know it wasn't the barb and platy. I have other live bearer types in the tank

What other livebearers? Platys can only interbreed with swordtails. I've heard guppies and mollies can crossbreed but its supposedly very rare.

Back
Top Bottom