Suprise Assassin Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so apparently my assassin snails are very happy and healthy. I bought 2. I now have 2 plus at least 17 eggs! So much for the LFS advice I got! 3 snails per year lol So I guess Ill just post everything that happens on here! lol

Just to update I found even more eggs! The original eggs are looking good except for 2 or 3 that appear empty...

GodFan said:
ok so apparently my assassin snails are very happy and healthy. I bought 2. I now have 2 plus at least 17 eggs! So much for the LFS advice I got! 3 snails per year lol So I guess Ill just post everything that happens on here! lol

Hi, i am getting a large amount of ramshorn snails, only small and i syphon them out every couple of days, I've done the lettuce leaf trick but they dont seem to go to it.
My question is: would an assassin snail help my situation??
Regards

Hi, i am getting a large amount of ramshorn snails, only small and i syphon them out every couple of days, I've done the lettuce leaf trick but they dont seem to go to it.
My question is: would an assassin snail help my situation??
Regards
ABSOLUTELY! However if they are super tiny the assassins may not be able to get them until they are slightly larger. The assassins can get suprisingly small snails though. I would say get 2 or more (depending on tank size) so they can reproduce. This is just a theory but I am thinking the baby assassins may eat the baby ramshorn and pond snails. Just a theory though.

I have recently discovered at least a dozen little teeny assassins roaming the tank. Given that I've heard they stay beneath the substrate for the first few months, it's so hard to believe these aren't "newborns". :blink:

I have recently discovered at least a dozen little teeny assassins roaming the tank. Given that I've heard they stay beneath the substrate for the first few months, it's so hard to believe these aren't "newborns". :blink:
I hope they dont hide a few months lol

GodFan said:
ABSOLUTELY! However if they are super tiny the assassins may not be able to get them until they are slightly larger. The assassins can get suprisingly small snails though. I would say get 2 or more (depending on tank size) so they can reproduce. This is just a theory but I am thinking the baby assassins may eat the baby ramshorn and pond snails. Just a theory though.

Thanks for the reply, I have a Fluval Edge 23ltr tank so I thimk 2 would be ample.
Regards

I hope they dont hide a few months lol

Hatching takes a few weeks, and it is fully six months before the juveniles are big enough (around 8 mm) to be seen actively hunting at the surface. Before they get that big they are presumably hidden away in the sand feeding on whatever small organisms they find there.

Assassin Snails in the Aquarium

This whole article is fantastic, by the way.

Hatching takes a few weeks, and it is fully six months before the juveniles are big enough (around 8 mm) to be seen actively hunting at the surface. Before they get that big they are presumably hidden away in the sand feeding on whatever small organisms they find there.

Assassin Snails in the Aquarium

This whole article is fantastic, by the way.
Great lol Thanks for the article :)

Well don't want to tempt fate but got 4 assassin snails today and watched in amazement as they fed on 2 of my many snails, only been in the tank 2 hrs.
3.99 for 3 and he threw in another for free :)
They look cool going round my tank, if they do the job i will give my friend 2.
Thanks for all your help guys and will keep you upto date with what happens.

Back
Top Bottom