Suprise Baby black Mollies, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfisher2011

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I posted the other day about possibly having 4 females (2 molly, 2 platy) in my 10G tank. Also thinking that the black molly was pregnant but not sure.

Last night someone gave birth!

We went out and bought a breeder net to house them, and also noticed that our (what was once a little) yellow tuxedo platy has gotten a belly on her. So we have a double net and have placed her in the other side.

What we do not know is how long we are to keep the fry in the net for?

Someone who is an expert on livebearers will come in and comment soon, but I bet only until theyre big enough that they won't fit in anybody's mouth.

Yeah ... I think until they get big enough thy can't be eaten or put them in a diffent "fry" tank.. There are certain types of things u can buy for them to hide in in the present aquarium but I think it's best to keep them away from their parents... I'm not an expert but I did used to have guppies and swords.. I used to rinse out new loofas ... That are made for body wash and spread it all out and it kept the babies pretty safe.. They would hide in all the little holes ;)

If you put them with larger fish they will become shark bait. You can keep them in the breeder nets but what I do is put them in my gallon tank. It was like 20-30 bucks and comes with a light and filter. I just set that up like a little tank housed with tiny fish. You can feed them regular fish food crushed up real tiny but they do make food that will make them grown quicker. Keep them in there till they are bigger than the size of your biggest fishes mouth. They should be safe then, probably about 2-3 month.

My mollies and guppies give birth every month and I haven't lost hardly any fry. I have an X. Lg. bushy fake plant in the back that the fry hide in for a day or two then they swim out in the open with the adults. The adults just seem to leave the fry alone.

Back
Top Bottom